Press email list

Date:
The press email list is getting too many spam messages.  It doesn't make
sense for me to remain in the hope I get see one non-spam message every
six months.

Re: Press email list

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The press email list is getting too many spam messages.  It doesn't make
> sense for me to remain in the hope I get see one non-spam message every
> six months.

I thought we were using greylisting? You should get very little
spam.

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Press email list

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The press email list is getting too many spam messages.  It doesn't make
> > sense for me to remain in the hope I get see one non-spam message every
> > six months.
> >

> I thought we were using greylisting? You should get very little
> spam.

There are about four spams a day, and a valid email perhaps once every
four months.

Re: Press email list

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> I thought we were using greylisting? You should get very little
>> spam.
>
> There are about four spams a day, and a valid email perhaps once every
> four months.
O.k. that is what I would expect. I personally get about 12 spams
a day but that is directly to jd@ . Think about how many spams are probably
really being sent to that address.

Honestly Bruce 4 spams is not that bad :) Do you have spam filtering
on your end? Something bayesian should pick up those 4.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Press email list

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> The press email list is getting too many spam messages.  It doesn't make
>> sense for me to remain in the hope I get see one non-spam message every
>> six months.
>>

> I thought we were using greylisting? You should get very little
> spam.

We have pretty much everything enabled on the lists, including
Greylisting, but Greylisting doesn't help is someone sends the spam
through 'legit channels' ... like most anti-spam software, they do have a
finite lifetime before the spams just work around them ...

press is one of the only lists we run, though, that doesn't restrict
posters to it (ie. you don't have to be subscribed to post to it), so its
easier for the stray spam to get through to the subscribers ... not sure
why we don't have restrict_post set on it though ... JoshB and RobertT are
both owners of the list, maybe they can comment ... ?

-----

Re: Press email list

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> The press email list is getting too many spam messages.  It doesn't make
>>> sense for me to remain in the hope I get see one non-spam message every
>>> six months.
>>>

>> I thought we were using greylisting? You should get very little
>> spam.
>
> There are about four spams a day, and a valid email perhaps once every
> four months.

Wow, I'll trade you my mailbox for yours ... *evil grin*  But, I don't
imagine those 4 are the *only* spam you get each day ... or is it?

----

Re: Press email list

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> press is one of the only lists we run, though, that doesn't restrict
> posters to it (ie. you don't have to be subscribed to post to it), so
> its easier for the stray spam to get through to the subscribers ...
> not sure why we don't have restrict_post set on it though ... JoshB
> and RobertT are both owners of the list, maybe they can comment ... ?
I am guessing because we don't want people seeking a press contact to
have to subscribe.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> press is one of the only lists we run, though, that doesn't restrict
>> posters to it (ie. you don't have to be subscribed to post to it), so its
>> easier for the stray spam to get through to the subscribers ... not sure
>> why we don't have restrict_post set on it though ... JoshB and RobertT are
>> both owners of the list, maybe they can comment ... ?

> I am guessing because we don't want people seeking a press contact to have to
> subscribe.

Actually, they wouldn't have to ... all that would happen is Robert/Josh
would get sent an email telling them that the message was there needing to
be approved ...

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> I thought we were using greylisting? You should get very little
> >> spam.
> >
> > There are about four spams a day, and a valid email perhaps once every
> > four months.
> O.k. that is what I would expect. I personally get about 12 spams
> a day but that is directly to jd@ . Think about how many spams are probably
> really being sent to that address.
>
> Honestly Bruce 4 spams is not that bad :) Do you have spam filtering
> on your end? Something bayesian should pick up those 4.

Well, at this point, 50% of spam I receive that has gotten through my
filters is though the press list, so removing that drops my spam by 1/2.

Re: Press email list

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

> >> press is one of the only lists we run, though, that doesn't restrict
> >> posters to it (ie. you don't have to be subscribed to post to it), so its
> >> easier for the stray spam to get through to the subscribers ... not sure
> >> why we don't have restrict_post set on it though ... JoshB and RobertT are
> >> both owners of the list, maybe they can comment ... ?
>
> > I am guessing because we don't want people seeking a press contact to have to
> > subscribe.
>
> Actually, they wouldn't have to ... all that would happen is Robert/Josh
> would get sent an email telling them that the message was there needing to
> be approved ...

Yes, originally they didn't want the delay have something having to be
approved, but at this point, it might be the best solution.

Re: Press email list

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> The press email list is getting too many spam messages.  It doesn't make
> sense for me to remain in the hope I get see one non-spam message every
> six months.

So, don't.  I'll stay on, I'm used to the spam.  Plus my server filters
out another 50% of what gets past Marc.

--Josh

Re: Press email list

From
Vishal Kashyap
Date:
Josh,

Same problem with in'postgresql.org. I would say I recive tons of SPAMS.

--
With Best Regards,
Vishal Kashyap.