Wanted: Volunteer web developer for small project on www.postgresql.org

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi all,

Thought I'd throw this out to the list - we're finding that the web
forms on www.postgresql.org are suffering more and more from the effects
of spam-bots which are inundating us with junk submissions. I think the
simplest solution would be to add a confirmation stage to all submission
forms that asks the user to enter a code from an image, much as many
blogs and other sites do.

So, if anyone has been looking for a small project, and would like to
investigate further and implement a solution, we'd love to hear from
you!

Regards, Dave.

Re: Wanted: Volunteer web developer for small project on www.postgresql.org

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
Dave,

Perhaps I can be of help as I am waiting for Gavin to update the
framework.org.

What do you think about having to type a random word generated in an image
before being able to submit anything?

Regards,
Gevik.

Great, thanks Gevik.

> What do you think about having to type a random word
> generated in an image
> before being able to submit anything?

Yes, that's exactly what I think we need, however, I think we need to
add that in a separate step, rather than on the initial form because
they will be served by the static servers:

- Static server serves form (in most cases this will be part of a doc
page, so serving forms from wwwmaster really isn't an option).
- User fills form and submits it to the script on wwwmaster.
- Server temporarily stores the submission - perhaps in a session
variable.
- wwwmaster generates the random word and sends it to the user on a
simple confirmation form.
- User submits confirmation form, and their original submission is
processed from the temporary storage.

Sound reasonable?

Regards Dave

Re: Wanted: Volunteer web developer for small project on www.postgresql.org

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Sounds very good. I will give it a start by gathering some info on this.

Robert Bernier
Date:
I suggest you research the ImageMagick suite. It should give you everything
you need.

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 18:21, Gevik babakhani wrote:
> Sounds very good. I will give it a start by gathering some info on this.

"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/session-captcha/ is a GD based HIV
app I wrote in PHP and PostgreSQL a few years back.  Could be of some
use with some modification.

Gavin

On Sep 28, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Gevik babakhani wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Perhaps I can be of help as I am waiting for Gavin to update the
> framework.org.
>
> What do you think about having to type a random word generated in
> an image
> before being able to submit anything?
>
> Regards,
> Gevik.