database driven user quotes

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about making the user quotes on the main website database
driven .  Two goals behind this would be to allow for a page where we could
display all user quotes, and also to allow the quotes on the main page to be
randomly generated for each site build, making the front page a little less
static.  The one tricky part seems to be how best to handle translations. I
had a thought to make the database table something simple like quote,
tagline, & lang, which would be fine for storing the content, however I'm not
sure the best way for extracting it.  I was thinking the calls to func_lang
could be replaced with a get_quote, and then use $_LANGUAGE for
system/handler.php as an argument to get the appropriate quote.  I figure
this will also mean we need an addition to the admin screens for inputing
quotes. Does this sound reasonable?

--
Robert Treat

Re: database driven user quotes

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Just like we do now with events and news and such. When we build the site from
the master, the quote will get pulled from the db and put into the static
page.

Incidentally, for those concerned, I'll handle translation like we do now with
news/events type stuff, that architecture should be fine for what I am doing.

Robert Treat

--
Robert Treat

Re: database driven user quotes

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

----

Re: database driven user quotes

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Could use javascript to fill an array of quotes and randomly pic one.

On Aug 17, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Ummm, how are you planning on handling the web servers, which are
> all static pages generated by the master site?
>
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Robert Treat wrote:
>

>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I'm thinking about making the user quotes on the main website
>> database
>> driven .  Two goals behind this would be to allow for a page where
>> we could
>> display all user quotes, and also to allow the quotes on the main
>> page to be
>> randomly generated for each site build, making the front page a
>> little less
>> static.  The one tricky part seems to be how best to handle
>> translations. I
>> had a thought to make the database table something simple like quote,
>> tagline, & lang, which would be fine for storing the content,
>> however I'm not
>> sure the best way for extracting it.  I was thinking the calls to
>> func_lang
>> could be replaced with a get_quote, and then use $_LANGUAGE for
>> system/handler.php as an argument to get the appropriate quote.  I
>> figure
>> this will also mean we need an addition to the admin screens for
>> inputing
>> quotes. Does this sound reasonable?
>>
>> --
>> Robert Treat
>> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL
>>
>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://
> www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
gmr@ehpg.net

Re: database driven user quotes

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm thinking about making the user quotes on the main website
> database driven .  Two goals behind this would be to allow
> for a page where we could display all user quotes, and also
> to allow the quotes on the main page to be randomly generated
> for each site build, making the front page a little less
> static.  The one tricky part seems to be how best to handle
> translations. I had a thought to make the database table
> something simple like quote, tagline, & lang, which would be
> fine for storing the content, however I'm not sure the best
> way for extracting it.  I was thinking the calls to func_lang
> could be replaced with a get_quote, and then use $_LANGUAGE
> for system/handler.php as an argument to get the appropriate
> quote.  I figure this will also mean we need an addition to
> the admin screens for inputing quotes. Does this sound reasonable?

Seems good to me. If translation is a lot of work, I'd even say skip
that. From what I can tell, very little of our content is actually
translated. Looking at news items, that's exactly zero items since the
start of the db which is back in 2002. So I honestly don't see why we
bother. But if it's not too much work, it doesn't hurt :-)

//Magnus

Date:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> Could use javascript to fill an array of quotes and randomly pic one.

That works ...

----

Re: database driven user quotes

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
The other side of that is, there should be a default one incase the
user has javascript disabled.  Then the javascript would replace the
innerHTML of the div that contains it with a random quote.  I can
provide code if needed.

Gavin

On Aug 17, 2005, at 7:13 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>

>> Could use javascript to fill an array of quotes and randomly pic one.
>>

> That works ...
>

>> On Aug 17, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>

>>> Ummm, how are you planning on handling the web servers, which are
>>> all static pages generated by the master site?

>>> ----
>>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://
>>> www.hub.org)
>>> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy
>>> ICQ: 7615664
>>> ---------------------------(end of
>>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
>>>

>> Gavin M. Roy
>> 800 Pound Gorilla
>> gmr@ehpg.net
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://
> www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
gmr@ehpg.net

Re: database driven user quotes

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> The other side of that is, there should be a default one incase the
> user has javascript disabled.  Then the javascript would replace the
> innerHTML of the div that contains it with a random quote.  I can
> provide code if needed.

BTW, I'm waiting for permission on a new quote.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: database driven user quotes

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
Yeah. But none of this is really necessary as long as we can live with
the quote being changed only once per hour. Makes things a lot simpler
:-) (we're doing this already with the surveys, comments, news etc etc)

//Magnus

Date:
Guys,

While you're working on the quoting program, can we at least put up this
new static quote (permission received from one of the authors):

"By default, PostgreSQL is probably the most security-aware database
available ..."
Database Hacker's Handbook
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyAncillary/productCd-0764578014.html

--