Re: Volunteer wanted for PostgreSQL Techdocs

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Rod,

The idea is to have Bricolage write it's output into a directory
hierarchy from where a script will check files into the main web cvs
periodically, adding and removing news and old files as required. This
script has yet to be written but I don't envisage it being a major
hurdle.

The output needs to be in a very simple format for the template engine
on the main site to handle - a good example is the weekly news om the
main site:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/cvs/cvs.php/portal/template/en
/community/weeklynews. As you can see from the source, it's basic xhtml,
with a title block at the top.

We haven't decided on navigation yet, though Gevik Babakhani has been
working on an MSDN-like interface. I previously suggested that Bricolage
might be able to write a simple index file as a bunch of href's in a
hierarchy of unordered lists that the navigation structure could mirror,
eg.

<ul>
  <ul>
  </ul>
  <ul>
    <ul>
    </ul>
  </ul>
</ul>

Of course, having never used Bricolage I'm not sure if that is possible.
I assume though, if the worst comes to the worst, then it can just
create navigation pages in our standard tmeplate format?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Volunteer wanted for PostgreSQL Techdocs

From
"Gevik babakhani"
Date:
Hi,

The MSDN style navigation that I was experimenting with uses a xml tree
structure.

Assuming Bricolage creates files on disk:

1. It is possible to load the entire tree at ones. (this would make a slow
tree when the content grows)

2. It is possible to only load a small part of the tree when the user
expands a given node. Some thing like
http://zzzzzz/expand_node.php?node=what_ever_node_that_is_clicked

Regrads,
Gevik.

Rod Taylor
On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 08:30 +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Seems reasonable.

> Of course, having never used Bricolage I'm not sure if that is possible.
> I assume though, if the worst comes to the worst, then it can just
> create navigation pages in our standard tmeplate format?

Technically Bricolage doesn't do anything. It's a set of libraries for a
database storage mechanism with associated web interfaces. All output
code, essentially, needs to be written in perl and tell Bricolage how to
call it.

Publishing the files to some directory hierarchy is trivial. In theory,
you could publish directly to the CVS repository by loading in a new
output module.

--

Date:
> The output needs to be in a very simple format for the template engine
> on the main site to handle - a good example is the weekly news om the
> main site:
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/cvs/cvs.php/portal/template/en
> /community/weeklynews. As you can see from the source, it's basic xhtml,
> with a title block at the top.

Okay, keeping in mind that Bricolage stores structured content, this is
what I need to get started:

      * All of the different content data types to be stored. An email
        address, and some text might form a paragraph. The paragraph is
        within a page with an image.  Email Address, Text Block,
        Paragraph, Image, Page are 5 different data types. You can get
        as specific or as vague as you like, but templating is done on
        an individual datatype.
      * The template blocks themselves. I.e. What is the common HTML
        styling that will be applied to all paragraphs. It appears to be
        "<p>$paragraph</p>", but you can go as crazy or as simple as you
        like.

Yes, you can certainly change things around later or make them more
complex, but that may also mean backtracking and reediting content.

For example, if you allow people to store freeform text within a
paragraph, including HTML tags, that may restrict your ability to
generate an RSS feed or output plain text or a WAP interface along side
the standard HTML, or even the possibility of including some of the
output in the normal docbook documentation (XML Docbook tools can pull
information from remote sources).

The other item is generated content. A Bricolage template has access to
all of the content stored in the datastore at all times. Summaries,
indexes, and other fully generated data segments can be created and
outputted in any format that you can provide me with a template for.  So
you need to decide if you intend to use this capability for anything.

For publishing, you've already hinted at storing the resulting data
within CVS. This is possible, but also keep in mind that Bricolage can
publish to remote servers (note the plural) via FTP should you wish to
use it.