Cloning design

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Hey, we're launching a new PostgreSQL sub-project on Monday, called Bizgres.

We've appropriated the design for the PostgreSQL web site with changes,
because this project will be BSD-licensed and part of the PostgreSQL
community of sites.

We asked and received permission from Emily of TinySofa to use the design
weeks ago, but it just occured to me that I should let people know here.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Cloning design

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Hey, we're launching a new PostgreSQL sub-project on Monday, called Bizgres.
>
> We've appropriated the design for the PostgreSQL web site with changes,
> because this project will be BSD-licensed and part of the PostgreSQL
> community of sites.
>
> We asked and received permission from Emily of TinySofa to use the design
> weeks ago, but it just occured to me that I should let people know here.

Just curious why did you need permission?

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Re: Cloning design

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Just curious why did you need permission?

Designs are copyrighted.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Cloning design

From
"Dave Page"

> > Just curious why did you need permission?
>
> Designs are copyrighted.

So's PostgreSQL, and both are released under BSD licence.

Regards, Dave

Re: Cloning design

From
"Dave Page"

Who is 'we'?

> We've appropriated the design for the PostgreSQL web site
> with changes,
> because this project will be BSD-licensed and part of the PostgreSQL
> community of sites.

It's been widely acknowledged that there are too many sites already, and
to that end we've been working hard to merge them together. Why another
new one now, or when you say community, are you speaking in the wider
sense rather than the focus of this group?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Cloning design

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> Who is 'we'?

Oh, yeah, whoops.  GreenPlum, inc., who used to be Metapa, Inc.   I've been
working for them for the last couple of months.

> It's been widely acknowledged that there are too many sites already, and
> to that end we've been working hard to merge them together. Why another
> new one now, or when you say community, are you speaking in the wider
> sense rather than the focus of this group?

Well, this will be a project site, like jdbc.postgresql.org or
www.pgbuildfarm.org.    Just somewhat larger than those.  And more hyped.
Dot-coms, you know.

I'll have a post to -announce tommorrow explaining the new project .... once
the site is up.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Cloning design

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Josh,

> > Who is 'we'?
>
> Oh, yeah, whoops.  GreenPlum, inc., who used to be Metapa,
> Inc.   I've been
> working for them for the last couple of months.

OK, cool.

> > It's been widely acknowledged that there are too many sites
> already, and
> > to that end we've been working hard to merge them together.
> Why another
> > new one now, or when you say community, are you speaking in
> the wider
> > sense rather than the focus of this group?
>
> Well, this will be a project site, like jdbc.postgresql.org or
> www.pgbuildfarm.org.    Just somewhat larger than those.  And
> more hyped.
> Dot-coms, you know.

Ahh, I see. I had visions of a new advocacy.postgresql.org-on-speed type
site!

> I'll have a post to -announce tommorrow explaining the new
> project .... once
> the site is up.

I'm looking forward to it.

Regards, Dave.