Some download statistics

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
(crossposting this to hackers, I'm sure there are interested people
there as well)

Since Dave set the site up for tracking clickthroughs, I hit the db with
a couple of queries to count our downloads. This is what I came up with:

I did some simple pivoting in Excel and split it into categories win32,
source, sig (MD5 or PGP signatures), RPMs, split (the split tarballs),
pgadmin and ODBC. Other stuff was so little that I cut it.

The numbers for just-past-release may be off a bit because of the move
of wwwmaster. Not sure what happened to the db.

Just before and about 24 hours after the release of 8.0, we had the
following:
win32        16480
source    5223
sig        2016
rpm        1908
split        1689
pgadmin    370
odbc        261
Grand Total    27947

Total tally since the tracking started (2005-01-11):
win32        106878    56,37%
source    39058        20,60%
rpm        11703        6,17%
split        9135        4,82%
sig        8931        4,71%
pgadmin    7281        3,84%
odbc        6601        3,48%
Total     189587

And the versions being downloaded (total):
8.0.1        85511
8.0.0        82517
notpg        14526        (pgadmin, odbc etc)
7.4.6        4297
7.4.7        2736
Grand Total    189587

This does *not* include bittorrent downloads.

Some conclusions that I draw from this:
1) The win32 distribution is very popular. Some of this is no doubt
because it's new. Also, about 3500 of those downloads are RC5 downloads.
RC5 downloads of the source were during this time so few that they
didn't show up after my cutoff.

2) Most of the people who use RPMs on their linux systems wait for their
distribution to ship the RPMs and don't get it. Or they are alraedy set
up to download directly from their mirror and not from the website (the
tracker only counts downloads that were initiated from the website)

3) There doesnt' seem to be much point to the distribution splits. A
total of less than 5% the *number* of downloads. And most people
probably get more than one file, so in reality that number shuold
proably be divided by 4 or 5.
I know several people who downloaded source *plus* the split ones,
because "hey, I need postgresql. And I certainly need base too. And I
need docs.". They don't realise it's included in the main tarball.
Frankly, I'd suggest dropping the splits. Thoughts?

4) People upgraded to 8.0.1. Not a lot of people have upgraded their 7.4
systems.

As always, it's statistics. You can say anything you want with it...
Someone who chews numbers for a living might be able to get more out of
it. If someone is interested in the excel pivot tables with this stuff
in it, let me know. But it's nothing exciting there :)

//Magnus

Re: [HACKERS] Some download statistics

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> 3) There doesnt' seem to be much point to the distribution splits. A
> total of less than 5% the *number* of downloads. And most people
> probably get more than one file, so in reality that number shuold
> proably be divided by 4 or 5.
> I know several people who downloaded source *plus* the split ones,
> because "hey, I need postgresql. And I certainly need base too. And I
> need docs.". They don't realise it's included in the main tarball.
> Frankly, I'd suggest dropping the splits. Thoughts?

this tracks only those going in through the web ... this doesn't track
those using an ftp client going in and downloading files ... specifically,
I know that all of the FreeBSD ports are based on the split distributions
... in the case of the postgresql80-server port, it only downloads base
and opt and ignores the rest ...

----

Re: [HACKERS] Some download statistics

From
John DeSoi
Date:
Hi Magnus,

On Feb 24, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> I did some simple pivoting in Excel and split it into categories win32,
> source, sig (MD5 or PGP signatures), RPMs, split (the split tarballs),
> pgadmin and ODBC. Other stuff was so little that I cut it.

Assuming this is from a HTTP log, I'm just curious if you took into
account that many Windows users have "download managers" that make
repeated requests to get a single file. You see this in the log with a
206 (partial content) HTTP response code. So you might have anywhere
from 10 to 20 hits in the log to download a single file. This makes it
a pain to get accurate download statistics.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Date:
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> Did you mean Jan 17th?  Since toda yis only the r27th of Feb, 30 days
>> beginning Feb 17 coulbe difficult? :)
>
> Right, January 17.

20077 downloads, top 10 being (didn't think you wanted all 1720 lines):

2411 /var/spool/ftp/pub/odbc/versions/full/psqlodbc-07_03_0200.zip
2221 /var/spool/ftp/pub/odbc/versions/msi/psqlodbc-07_03_0200.zip
  659 /var/spool/ftp/pub/binary/v8.0.1/win32/postgresql-8.0.1.zip
  514 /var/spool/ftp/pub/source/v8.0.1/postgresql-8.0.1.tar.gz
  483 /var/spool/ftp/pub/source/v8.0.0/postgresql-8.0.0.tar.gz
  333 /var/spool/ftp/pub/source/v8.0.1/postgresql-8.0.1.tar.bz2
  281 /var/spool/ftp/pub/source/v8.0.0/postgresql-8.0.0.tar.bz2
  260 /var/spool/ftp/pub/binary/v8.0/win32/postgresql-8.0.zip
  240 /var/spool/ftp/pub/odbc/versions/snapshots/psqlodbc-08_00_0004.zip
  201 /var/spool/ftp/pub/odbc/versions/src/psqlodbc-07.03.0200.tar.gz

Broken down by top level directory:

8084 odbc
5075 source
5014 binary
  593 stable_snapshot
  540 pgadmin3
  156 README
  155 projects
  136 dev
  107 sync_timestamp
   67 ls
   54 README.dist-split
   41 er.msg
   32 README.cvsup
   23 ct.msg

source directory broken down by version:

1631 v8.0.1
1553 v8.0.0
  370 v7.4.6
  321 v7.4.7
  126 v7.4.5
  123 v8.0.0beta
  100 v7.3.9
   84 v7.2.7
   71 v7.4
   55 v7.3.8
   51 v7.3.4
   50 v7.3.3
   49 v7.1.3
   46 v7.1
   37 v7.2.2
   35 v7.4.3
   32 v7.2.3
   31 v7.2.4
   31 v7.2
   28 v7.1.2
   24 v7.2.5
   23 v7.3.2
   22 v7.4.1
   19 v7.3
   19 v7.0
   18 v7.2.1
   16 v7.4.2
   16 v7.3.1
   15 v7.0.3
   12 v7.0.2
   11 v7.1.1
   10 v7.3.6
   10 v7.0.1
    8 v6.5
    4 v7.2.6
    4 v6.4
    4 v1.09
    4 v1.08
    3 v6.2
    2 v6.3
    2 v6.1
    2 v6.0
    1 v7.4.4
    1 v7.3.7
    1 v7.3.5

and breakdown of binary:

1826 v8.0
1800 v8.0.1
  316 v7.4.6
  209 v7.0.3
  124 v7.4
   87 v7.4.5
   76 v7.4.7
   74 v7.1
   71 v7.4.2
   69 v7.1.2
   54 v7.3.4
   45 v7.3.1
   41 v7.3.8
   30 v7.3.9
   24 v7.2
   23 v8.0.0rc1
   22 v7.3.3
   20 v7.2.4
   19 v7.3.2
   16 v7.2.2
   15 v7.4.1
   12 v7.2.1
   11 v7.3
    9 v7.4.4
    7 v7.1.1
    7 v7.0
    3 v7.4.3
    1 v7.3.6
    1 v7.2.7
    1 v7.2.6
    1 v7.1.3

help any?

Re: [HACKERS] Some download statistics

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> Did you mean Jan 17th?  Since toda yis only the r27th of Feb, 30 days
> beginning Feb 17 coulbe difficult? :)

Right, January 17.

> > pgFoundry saw approximately 25,000 downloads of the pgInstaller.
>
> Does this take into consideratino something that was mentioned in a
> seperate thread?  Where Windows does 'multiple connects' to download the
> same file?

Not sure how pgInstaller counts downloads, so it's a firm I Don't Know.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Can you give me stats for ftp.postgresql.org, for the 30 days beginning
> February 17?

Did you mean Jan 17th?  Since toda yis only the r27th of Feb, 30 days
beginning Feb 17 coulbe difficult? :)

> pgFoundry saw approximately 25,000 downloads of the pgInstaller.

Does this take into consideratino something that was mentioned in a
seperate thread?  Where Windows does 'multiple connects' to download the
same file?

----

Re: [HACKERS] Some download statistics

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> this tracks only those going in through the web ... this doesn't track
> those using an ftp client going in and downloading files ... specifically,

Can you give me stats for ftp.postgresql.org, for the 30 days beginning
February 17?   These are extra numbers, plus would give me stats to compare
with last year, for which we only have ftp.postgresql.org.

For other download sites, in the month following release:
pgFoundry saw approximately 25,000 downloads of the pgInstaller.
SourceForge's statistics are broken, so we don't know how many downloads they
got.
I'm waiting for David Fetter's answer on Bittorrent.

It would be nice if Josh Drake could give us stats for Mammoth PostgreSQL 8.0.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions