Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I'm getting SMS messages from Nagios periodically telling me that there
are problems with the servers that I'm logged into working on ...
basically, I'm getting paged for someone else's network problems *sigh*

Josh suggested (since I didn't think about it) asking here if someone has
set this up ...

Thanks ...

----

Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I'm getting SMS messages from Nagios periodically telling me that
> there are problems with the servers that I'm logged into working on
> ... basically, I'm getting paged for someone else's network problems
> *sigh*
>
> Josh suggested (since I didn't think about it) asking here if someone
> has set this up ...

We did :) however if the network problem is on our end then we will be
paged as well.
It sounds like you are getting paged for network problems in between, or
possibly
between us and one of the legs into your network.

When was your last page? I want to verify against our reports.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> I'm getting SMS messages from Nagios periodically telling me that there are
>> problems with the servers that I'm logged into working on ... basically,
>> I'm getting paged for someone else's network problems *sigh*
>>
>> Josh suggested (since I didn't think about it) asking here if someone has
>> set this up ...
>
> We did :) however if the network problem is on our end then we will be paged
> as well.
> It sounds like you are getting paged for network problems in between, or
> possibly
> between us and one of the legs into your network.
>
> When was your last page? I want to verify against our reports.

Just before I email'd this out to the list ... the first 'legit' one I've
had so far was this afternoon, when there was a short outage ... before
that, I got paged at 5am telling me the network was down, was up, was
down, was up, until about 6:30am ... and all the while, I'd come to check
the servers and they were fine ... I have enough problems getting a good
nights sleep as it is, let alone getting false alarms :(

Please remove me from the page list ... personal pages are appreciated,
since it means that a problem has been verified to be at our end first ...
but auto-pages are definitely not appreciated, considering the # of
'failure points' that can exist between remote servers ...

----

Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Dave Page"

Perhaps all auto-detected failures should be posted to the sysadmins
list when it's ready?

Which reminds me, did you fix the slaves list yet Marc?

/D

Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
>> Please remove me from the page list ... personal pages are
>> appreciated,
>> since it means that a problem has been verified to be at our
>> end first ...
>> but auto-pages are definitely not appreciated, considering the # of
>> 'failure points' that can exist between remote servers ...
>
> Perhaps all auto-detected failures should be posted to the sysadmins
> list when it's ready?
>
> Which reminds me, did you fix the slaves list yet Marc?

slaves list?  don't have anything in my box about problems with it ...

----

Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Dave Page"

Sounds like you're over-filtering again :-)

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2005-01/msg00247.php

I assume you missed this as well:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2005-01/msg00235.php

And this one:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2005-01/msg00098.php

Receipt requested!
:-)

/D

Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
I removed the sms but have left your email address if that is o.k.

--
Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared

Attachment

Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I removed the sms but have left your email address if that is o.k.

That's perfect ... in fact, if you can put in my scrappy@ns.sympatico.ca
one as a secondary, then if the network is totally down, I'll still get
the notices ...

Again, please note that I have no problems with getting verified SMS
pages, else I would never have given out the address ... its just getting
pages at 5am to find out that there is nothing wrong with the servers
tends to hurt just a weeeeee bit :)  Specially when the wife smacks me
cause it woke her up :)

Thanks ...

> Dave Page wrote:

Fixed ...

> I assume you missed this as well:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2005-01/msg00235.php

transfer of 'pgadmin.org/IN' from 194.217.48.34#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED

> And this one:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2005-01/msg00098.php

looking into this one ...

----

Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

From
"Dave Page"

Ta.

> > I assume you missed this as well:
> >
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2005-01/msg00235.php
>
> transfer of 'pgadmin.org/IN' from 194.217.48.34#53: failed
> while receiving responses: REFUSED

Hmm:

zone "pgadmin.org" IN {
        type master;
        file "master/pgadmin.org";
        allow-update { none; };
        allow-transfer { 200.46.204.2; };
        notify yes;
};

What needs adding/changing? Also, the original problem was the lookup of
wwwmaster.postgresql.org - is that OK now?

Regards, Dave.