Encoding heck?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I'm going through the translations or the press release now, and finding that
I have 5 or 6 different encodings for the text.    Apparently UTF-8 doesn't
work for Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Polish or a couple of others.   I'm
not sure what to do about this, but thought it might be better if it wasn't a
surprise ...

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Encoding heck?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'm going through the translations or the press release now, and
> finding that I have 5 or 6 different encodings for the text.
> Apparently UTF-8 doesn't work for Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish,
> Polish or a couple of others.

Sure it does.  It doesn't work (well) for some languages, but these are
not among them.

> I'm not sure what to do about this,

iconv

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Encoding heck?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> > I'm not sure what to do about this,
>
> iconv

Cool!  Didn' t know about this one.   Us English-speakers are such tyros when
it comes to encodings.   ;-)

The Polish and Russian translators did leave me notes that they used specific
encodings for a reason; I don't really understand it myself.

So ... web team, do we need all the HTML pages as UTF-8?   How does this work?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Encoding heck?

From
"John Hansen"
Date:
> Sure it does.  It doesn't work (well) for some languages, but
> these are not among them.
>
> > I'm not sure what to do about this,
>
> iconv

Or recode,...

... John

Re: Encoding heck?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> So ... web team, do we need all the HTML pages as UTF-8?   How does
> this work?

I don't think it's particularly worthwhile to force all HTML pages into
UTF-8.  The beauty of the system is that the authors and the readers
can each choose their preferred encoding and the software in between
takes care of the conversion.

--
Peter Eisentraut