Links for press page ... where will these things be?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

With the possiblity of a release before December 15th looming, I will need to
start "marking up" the Press Pages for the release.  Unfortunately, a lot of
the pages for the links don't yet exist, so I need your help on where they
*will* be (anything marked with a ** I'm wondering about).

I've included the whole list because I want to know about anything that will
be moving in the next couple weeks.

Also, can I assume that if we release on the 15th, there will not be a new
website?

Release Notes
    Release Notes**

Where to Download 8.0:
    List of FTP Mirrors
    Bittorrent**
    Windows Installer (also available via Bittorrent)
    SourceForge (including Windows installer)

Documentation:
    Official Documentation
    TechDocs
    General Bits

Drivers:
    JDBC
    ODBC
    .Net

Graphical User Interfaces:
    pgAdminIII
    phpPgAdmin
    pgAccess
    List of other GUIs**

Replication:
    Slony-I
    pgReplicator
    eRServer

Related Projects:
    pgFoundry
    GBorg

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Links for press page ... where will these things

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
How about links for Support, pointing to the Mailing Lists as well as the
pgsql.* hieararchy in Usenet?

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> With the possiblity of a release before December 15th looming, I will need to
> start "marking up" the Press Pages for the release.  Unfortunately, a lot of
> the pages for the links don't yet exist, so I need your help on where they
> *will* be (anything marked with a ** I'm wondering about).
>
> I've included the whole list because I want to know about anything that will
> be moving in the next couple weeks.
>
> Also, can I assume that if we release on the 15th, there will not be a new
> website?
>
> Release Notes
>     Release Notes**
>
> Where to Download 8.0:
>     List of FTP Mirrors
>     Bittorrent**
>     Windows Installer (also available via Bittorrent)
>     SourceForge (including Windows installer)
>
> Documentation:
>     Official Documentation
>     TechDocs
>     General Bits
>
> Drivers:
>     JDBC
>     ODBC
>     .Net
>
> Graphical User Interfaces:
>     pgAdminIII
>     phpPgAdmin
>     pgAccess
>     List of other GUIs**
>
> Replication:
>     Slony-I
>     pgReplicator
>     eRServer
>
> Related Projects:
>     pgFoundry
>     GBorg
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

----

Re: Links for press page ... where will these things be?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 01 December 2004 18:30, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> With the possiblity of a release before December 15th looming, I will need
> to start "marking up" the Press Pages for the release.  Unfortunately, a
> lot of the pages for the links don't yet exist, so I need your help on
> where they *will* be (anything marked with a ** I'm wondering about).

I've marked the ** ones with what I believe to be correct. The rest should be
in thier regular places.

http://developer.postgresql.org/~momjian/HISTORY.html

> Where to Download 8.0:
>  List of FTP Mirrors
>  Bittorrent**

bt.postgresql.org

>  Windows Installer (also available via Bittorrent)
>  SourceForge (including Windows installer)
>
> Documentation:
>  Official Documentation
>  TechDocs
>  General Bits
>
> Drivers:
>  JDBC
>  ODBC
>  .Net
>
> Graphical User Interfaces:
>  pgAdminIII
>  phpPgAdmin
>  pgAccess
>  List of other GUIs**

techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

> Replication:
>  Slony-I
>  pgReplicator
>  eRServer
>
> Related Projects:
>  pgFoundry
>  GBorg

Do you want to put the presskit files in the same hierarchy as 7.4?  There not
in the new web code yet, so they will need to be imported.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Links for press page ... where will these things

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> How about links for Support, pointing to the Mailing Lists as well as the
> pgsql.* hieararchy in Usenet?

Good idea ... if you'd mentioned it 2 weeks ago, before the translating
started.  Sorry.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Links for press page ... where will these things be?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> > Release Notes
> >  Release Notes**
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~momjian/HISTORY.html

Presumably these will be somewhere in the new official docs once 8.0 is
canned?

--

Date:
On Thursday 02 December 2004 01:30, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > > Release Notes
> > >  Release Notes**
> >
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/~momjian/HISTORY.html
>
> Presumably these will be somewhere in the new official docs once 8.0 is
> canned?

I only suggested that since it is what we linked to in the 7.4 press release,
but if the information is duplicated in the docs I've no problem linking
there instead. Can you verify the info at the above URL with what is in the
7.4 docs?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Links for press page ... where will these things be?

Date:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Thursday 02 December 2004 01:30, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> http://developer.postgresql.org/~momjian/HISTORY.html
>>
>> Presumably these will be somewhere in the new official docs once 8.0 is
>> canned?

> I only suggested that since it is what we linked to in the 7.4 press release,
> but if the information is duplicated in the docs I've no problem linking
> there instead. Can you verify the info at the above URL with what is in the
> 7.4 docs?

Yeah, that is just a repackaging of the Release Notes section of the
docs.  It would be reasonable to point to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release.html
instead.

You could also make an argument for pointing to the development-tip version
of the release notes:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release.html
because it is more likely to be up-to-date than any static copy of the
documentation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Links for press page ... where will these things be?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Links for press page ... where will these things be?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg,

> > Drivers:
> >       JDBC
> >       ODBC
> >       .Net
>
> DBD::Pg?

Crap.   Why didn't anyone point this stuff out when I posted it on Advocacy?

--

Date: