www.postgresql.org page change?

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
Hi all!

Looking at www.postgresql.org, it seems the page changed! It looks like
the advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus
there's no links to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: www.postgresql.org page change?

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
Looks like the old page is  back. Must have been a momentary lapse.

On Jul 14, 2004, at 9:00 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Looking at www.postgresql.org, it seems the page changed! It looks
> like the advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus
> there's no links to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.
>

> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm myrealbox com
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: www.postgresql.org page change?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Looks fine to me from here at 11am ADT ... all images load up too ...

----

Date:
On Jul 14, 2004, at 10:59 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Looks fine to me from here at 11am ADT ... all images load up too ...
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Looking at www.postgresql.org, it seems the page changed! It looks
>> like the advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus
>> there's no links to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.

I'm not sure what happened, but the server was definitely serving up a
different page for at least a couple of minutes. One person brought it
up in #postgresql on freenode, and then I and another person verified
that it was different. (Screenshots from two different machines
available if you want.) I don't know what happened. I'm just glad it
seems to have reverted itself :)

Regards,

Date:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2004, at 10:59 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> Looks fine to me from here at 11am ADT ... all images load up too ...
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> Looking at www.postgresql.org, it seems the page changed! It looks like
>>> the advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus there's
>>> no links to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.
>
> I'm not sure what happened, but the server was definitely serving up a
> different page for at least a couple of minutes. One person brought it up in
> #postgresql on freenode, and then I and another person verified that it was
> different. (Screenshots from two different machines available if you want.) I
> don't know what happened. I'm just glad it seems to have reverted itself :)

If it ever happens again, can you confirm the IP?  I just checked the
server, and the httpd process itself hasn't been restarted since July 3rd,
and I just got into the office, so it isn't something that I did (or
fixed) ... Dave, did you do anything to fix it?

Now, if you say it came up with the advocacy page ... the way that apache
works is if you happen to go in via IP, it will reply with the first
virtual host in its config file ... which happens to be
advocacy.postgresql.org ... but I don't know why, if you went in via name,
it would do that ... and, just checked, and the last time that file was
modified was "Feb 17 12:41" ...

As far as I know, it doesn't even rely on reverse DNS for anything (or,
forward, for that matter), as the way I understand it, the browser sends
the 'hostname' down the stream to tell the web server which virtual host
to do ... which is why some of the older browsers wouldn't work with
virtual named hosts, since they didn't know to send that information down

Anyone else here know more then I do about this sort of thing?  Oleg?

----

Re: www.postgresql.org page change?

From
"Dave Page"

Nope, not a thing. I checked it and it all looked OK to me. At a guess
your browser didn't pick up the stylesheet for some reason - I've seen
that happen before; refresh normally cures it....

/F

Date:
On Jul 14, 2004, at 11:22 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>
> If it ever happens again, can you confirm the IP?

Will do! :)

Date:
On Jul 14, 2004, at 11:43 PM, Dave Page wrote:
> Nope, not a thing. I checked it and it all looked OK to me. At a guess
> your browser didn't pick up the stylesheet for some reason - I've seen
> that happen before; refresh normally cures it....

It definitely wasn't that. The page had completely different *content*,
not just a lack of styling. Looks like it was hiccup of some sort.

Date:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2004, at 11:43 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> Nope, not a thing. I checked it and it all looked OK to me. At a guess
>> your browser didn't pick up the stylesheet for some reason - I've seen
>> that happen before; refresh normally cures it....
>
> It definitely wasn't that. The page had completely different *content*, not
> just a lack of styling. Looks like it was hiccup of some sort.

You mentioned advocacy ... if you look at http://advocacy.postgresql.org,
is it that?  Or only looked like it?

----

Date:
On Jul 15, 2004, at 12:22 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> You mentioned advocacy ... if you look at
> http://advocacy.postgresql.org, is it that?  Or only looked like it?

Here's a screenshot I took. Just to clarify something you were
wondering before, yes, I entered this as a domain name, rather than an
IP address. (I'm not even sure what the IP address is :)

http://www.grzm.com/postgresql_org/www.postgresql.org.png

It definitely looks like the advocacy page to me. I tried a link or
two: they worked as far as I could tell.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com