Websites you like

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Since it looks like the current mockup isn't too well received, please
take the time to provide me with a list of  your favorite open source
project related websites, that way we can come up with a composite look
that meets people's taste.

Gavin

Re: Websites you like

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> Since it looks like the current mockup isn't too well received, please
> take the time to provide me with a list of  your favorite open source
> project related websites, that way we can come up with a composite look
> that meets people's taste.

Um, I like www.mozilla.org, that it seems to be newbie-end-user focused,
has a decent color schema, and puts the general relevant information up
front for people to find their way around.

Hope that's helpful.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Gavin

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Websites you like

From
"Dave Page"

> Since it looks like the current mockup isn't too well received, please
> take the time to provide me with a list of  your favorite open source
> project related websites, that way we can come up with a composite look
> that meets people's taste.

Actually, I like it, at least conceptually.    I agree that the "giant logo"
has to go -- it loads funny on Konqueror, and adds significant K to the page.
But I like the format of the boxes and the news items.  One other thing which
would have to change would be the link boxes; I don't think the space
allocated for them would be sufficient, given what we have to cover.

Comparisons

Zope.org : This is probably the best example of a "community CMS" in use.
Certainly more pleasing to the eye than www.openacs.org or www.php.net,
although all share the standard of header bar and two columns of links
flanking a central "information & news" section.   While I don't have any
problem with that layout, since we're doing XML-CMS and not a CCMS, why not
be creative?
    One thing I do think worth considering is the use of indents and bullets to
set off sections of links (left-hand column).   While less visually appealing
than our boxes, it does take up less space and thus less scrolling.

Mozilla.org : a fun site that has shown us how to optimize for newbies and
make the site unnavigable for anyone else.   The one interesting thing is the
use of contrasting colors -- the tan and the blue -- which provides visual
interest.

Tigris.org : typical (bad) Collabnet design in general.   However, shows an
idea we might want to consider:  providing the news as headline links instead
of summaries on the main page.   This would free up the "main" area of the
front page for "how-do-I-find-it" information.

Other than that, I just looked up web sites for about 10 other OSS projects,
and they all suck.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Websites you like

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi,

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> Since it looks like the current mockup isn't too well received, please
> take the time to provide me with a list of  your favorite open source
> project related websites, that way we can come up with a composite look
> that meets people's taste.

Well, I liked the previous mysql.com (heh-heh), the navigation on the current
one is too convoluted (intentionally, I think).

I'd better give a list of (mostly usability) improvements I'd like to see:
- Services (search, language selection) should be separate from navigation
- Internal navigation should be separate from external (communities) one
- Current position in site structure should be clearly visible

The logo (not watermarked one) should really be made bigger. In its current size
it is not immediately clear whether it is an elephant or, ahem, something else.

Of course, I'd also like to see the ugly square banners gone, but that's neither
your nor my decision to take. ;)

Re: Websites you like

From
Peter Eisentraut
Dave Page wrote:
> > Um, I like www.mozilla.org,
>
> Not so keen on that myself...

Me neither.

> http://www.kde.org

That is better.  It is also a pretty good example of how you can combine
various myactivity.domain.org sites into one fairly cohesive appearance
while still allowing artistic freedom.

I also like http://www.debian.org.  It's not the greatest design in the
world, but you find all the information with a few clicks, and you're
not drowned in boxes, sidebars, banners, and questionable design
decisions.

Re: Websites you like

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
I'm fine with a new direction, that being said, let me clear up a
misconception and ask more questions to get moving in the right direction.

>>Since it looks like the current mockup isn't too well received, please
>>take the time to provide me with a list of  your favorite open source
>>project related websites, that way we can come up with a composite look
>>that meets people's taste.
>>

>Actually, I like it, at least conceptually.    I agree that the "giant logo"
>has to go -- it loads funny on Konqueror, and adds significant K to the page.

I've not tested for Konq.  The "giant logo" took 12k total, and the
entire page was graphically light with under 20k total of graphics.
Even on a 56k modem that should load quite quickly.

>But I like the format of the boxes and the news items.  One other thing which
>would have to change would be the link boxes; I don't think the space
>allocated for them would be sufficient, given what we have to cover.

This lends the question of how much different do we want the site to
look?  Most of the sites presented by everyone were very similar in
structure, and also not very graphically oriented, which is fine, it's
just a matter of what are we trying to achieve.

We have the main site which is fairly bland design wise, then a site
like advocacy which tries to make a graphical presentation, but the
design doesn't say "PostgreSQL" when you look at it.  I think it would
be good to try and achieve a middle ground here, something that is
visually appealing with well organized content.

This leads me to the next question, can we agree upon the answers for
the following questions?

1) How big should the template web page be sans ads and content - total
KB for the layout html, navigation, graphics, but excluding any
content.  10K, 25K, 50K?  If we can't come to a common consensus as to
target, lets at least choose a maximum size.

2) HTML Version, Compliance, etc... (HTML 3.0, 3.2, 4.0, XHTML)

3) Can it/should it use CSS (1.0?)?

4) Colors: Can the site use colors and/or pictures and graphics that
fall outside the current gray scale and gray-blue?

5) Design goals - Should the design goal be to come up with something
that looks like other sites, but with a unique PgSQL touch, or should it
strive to be individualistic, and stand out when compared to many of the
sites listed?  Do we want to deviate much from what's there now?  What
are the tolerance levels for pushing the envelope?

6) Once we get a few more design suggestions submitted, how do we narrow
the focus and chose one, since we can't please everyone?

Maybe we can get a statistical breakdown of the top 10 browsers and
versions for the current site, at least on the main repository at
hub.org to get an idea of what browsers we're primarily designing for.

Gavin

Re: Websites you like

From
"Dave Page"

Funny that, I came to roughly the same conclusions. Made me feel a whole
lot better about the current site that's gone from 'wow, that's nice' to
'what a load of tosh - call yourself a web designer?' (which I don't
incidently) - in about 12 months.

:-)

/D

Re: Websites you like

From
John Hansen
Date:
On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 17:40, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Dono about websites I like, but the horde framework looks nice... at
least in it's default configuration.

> /D

Re: Websites you like

From
"Dave Page"

Well, we say max 12KB (iirc) for banner ads, so there's 24KB already.
Same again for a banner - say 50KB total? More and more ppl have
broadband these days, so size is less of an issue for most.

I also wonder if we should provide a text-only version of the site.
Certainly in .uk this sort of thing is now a legal requirement as we
have to provide services that are accessible to anyone - I don't think
it would be a bad idea for us to do the same (shouldn't be difficult
with templates either).

> 2) HTML Version, Compliance, etc... (HTML 3.0, 3.2, 4.0, XHTML)

We had spoken about XHTML1.0 in the past. Dunno if Alexey's code is
written to that standard though?

> 3) Can it/should it use CSS (1.0?)?

Yes, I don't see why not. We use CSS at the moment.

> 4) Colors: Can the site use colors and/or pictures and
> graphics that fall outside the current gray scale and gray-blue?

I think the main bulk of the site needs to be in 'corporate colours',
however I have no aversion to adding other colours where relevant. For
example, the www.kitcampus.com site I mentioned earlier paints the
left-hand bar in different colours depending on what section of the site
you are in, however the main part of the page remains in the blue
shades.

> 5) Design goals - Should the design goal be to come up with
> something that looks like other sites, but with a unique
> PgSQL touch, or should it strive to be individualistic, and
> stand out when compared to many of the sites listed?  Do we
> want to deviate much from what's there now?  What are the
> tolerance levels for pushing the envelope?

MY feeling is that this depends entirely on the usability. If you come
up with a great looking, individual design that is usable and
functional, then I don't have a problem with it.

> 6) Once we get a few more design suggestions submitted, how
> do we narrow the focus and chose one, since we can't please everyone?

Let's see what we get before going there, but I would suggest that core
and/or the webmasters make a decision in the event (and only in the
event) of the rest of the list disagreeing.

> Maybe we can get a statistical breakdown of the top 10
> browsers and versions for the current site, at least on the
> main repository at hub.org to get an idea of what browsers
> we're primarily designing for.

Well, you could have got it from
http://www.postgresql.org/stats/webalizer/, but the stats seem to have
stopped running. How do we turn them back on Marc? If you can make do
with data from the first half of January, then it looks like:

1 311686 11.08% Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
2 266239 9.46% Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET
CLR 1
3 234921 8.35% Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
4 145996 5.19% Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET
CLR 1
5 96669 3.44% Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)
6 84485 3.00% MnogoSearch/3.2.14
7 66267 2.36% Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5)
Gecko
8 60186 2.14% Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)
9 55310 1.97% Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5)
Gecko/2003100
10 48941 1.74% Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5)
Gecko
11 47470 1.69% Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1; Linux)
12 40830 1.45% Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1)
Gecko/20030
13 35650 1.27% Mozilla/4.5 (compatible; HTTrack 3.0x; Windows 98)
14 26375 0.94% UdmSearch/3.1.21
15 25338 0.90% Mozilla/3.01 (compatible;)

In other words, it looks like IE rules...

Regards, Dave.

Re: Websites you like

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> Maybe we can get a statistical breakdown of the top 10 browsers and
> versions for the current site, at least on the main repository at
> hub.org to get an idea of what browsers we're primarily designing for.

http://www.postgresql.org/awstats.pl?config=www.postgresql.org

I'm updating the stats right now, since what is there is only as recent as
February :)

----

Re: Websites you like

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> Well, we say max 12KB (iirc) for banner ads, so there's 24KB already.
> Same again for a banner - say 50KB total? More and more ppl have
> broadband these days, so size is less of an issue for most.

Hmmm ... thought that we were going to dump the banners ads on the new site?
They've not been terribly active, and they annoy some people.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Websites you like

From
"Dave Page"

I never heard any agreement to drop them. Whilst I don't care much
either way, they do give publicity to related projects, and are our way
of payment for the mirrors. Some of the operators might get annoyed if
we suddenly remove that service and offer nothing in it's place.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Websites you like

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> I never heard any agreement to drop them. Whilst I don't care much
> either way, they do give publicity to related projects, and are our way
> of payment for the mirrors. Some of the operators might get annoyed if
> we suddenly remove that service and offer nothing in it's place.

Oh, right, I forgot about the mirrors.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Websites you like

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Dave,
>
>> I never heard any agreement to drop them. Whilst I don't care much
>> either way, they do give publicity to related projects, and are our way
>> of payment for the mirrors. Some of the operators might get annoyed if
>> we suddenly remove that service and offer nothing in it's place.
>
> Oh, right, I forgot about the mirrors.

And we are getting the occasional commercial enterprise signing up ... in
fact, just got Andrea to figure it out, and there is roughly $900CDN in
the pot right now for PostgreSQL ... now, that amount is based on what was
billed out for banners, *not* on what was received ... there may be some
open invoices in teh system that she needs to void out, so it may drop ...

Once Andrea gets the 'unpaid invoices' VOIDed (note, banners never go up
until the invoice is paid, and go down automatically on expiration date),
we'll work on getting a cheque sent out for deposit ...

----

Re: Websites you like

From
John Hansen
Date:
On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 01:26, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>
> > Maybe we can get a statistical breakdown of the top 10 browsers and
> > versions for the current site, at least on the main repository at
> > hub.org to get an idea of what browsers we're primarily designing for.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/awstats.pl?config=www.postgresql.org

http://search.postgresql.org/awstats/index.html
the one on www doesn't seem to display all the stats.

> I'm updating the stats right now, since what is there is only as recent as
> February :)
>

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: Websites you like

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, John Hansen wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 01:26, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe we can get a statistical breakdown of the top 10 browsers and
>>> versions for the current site, at least on the main repository at
>>> hub.org to get an idea of what browsers we're primarily designing for.
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/awstats.pl?config=www.postgresql.org
>
> http://search.postgresql.org/awstats/index.html
> the one on www doesn't seem to display all the stats.

what's it missing, and how do I add it?

----

Re: Websites you like

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
<snip>
> http://www.postgresql.org/awstats.pl?config=www.postgresql.org
>
> I'm updating the stats right now, since what is there is only as recent
> as February :)

Hmmmm, can we change the link on the PG "Admin" pages to point to that.
  The link there still points to the /stats/ directory.  :-/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: Websites you like

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi,

Dave Page wrote:
>>2) HTML Version, Compliance, etc... (HTML 3.0, 3.2, 4.0, XHTML)
>
> We had spoken about XHTML1.0 in the past. Dunno if Alexey's code is
> written to that standard though?

The forms are generated, but they are well-formed XHTML (and can be made valid,
if needed). The other stuff is in templates, so whatever standard to use is up
to the template editors.

Re: Websites you like

From
"Dave Page"