Updates to gborg site

From
David Fetter
Date:
Kind people,

There are some things on the front page of gborg that need changing
pronto, namely the highlighting of the "pgreplication" project, which
hasn't been active in years.

Who can change it now, and can I get permission to fix it?

Thanks in advance :)

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
Robert Treat
Date:
ISTM there should also be a note about the new projects.postgresql.org
infrastructure and we should update the main www page as well, unless
there is a reason to hold off on that?  Josh, whats the story with the
foundries performance issues?

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 14:46, David Fetter wrote:
> Kind people,
>
> There are some things on the front page of gborg that need changing
> pronto, namely the highlighting of the "pgreplication" project, which
> hasn't been active in years.
>
> Who can change it now, and can I get permission to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> Cheers,
> David Fetter david@fetter.org http://fetter.org/
> phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778
>
> Remember to vote!

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
Chris Ryan
Date:
    While it is within my capability to fudge the results of the Top
projects list I have not done so since the last time it was re-enabled
from the first move. Additionally while the pgreplication project
itself does not have the momentum it used to I am far from the believe
that is is an inactive project. Not to mention the fact that they have
done a good job of linking to some of the other replication based
projects that could be viewed as competitors.

    Ultimately I have no preference, except to let the system run as
inteded. I can alter the counts to bring up another project, slony1
perhaps, which would bump off the pgreplication project from the top
project list. However this wouldn't guarentee that it would stay that
way.

Chris Ryan

--- David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Kind people,
>
> There are some things on the front page of gborg that need changing
> pronto, namely the highlighting of the "pgreplication" project, which
> hasn't been active in years.
>
> Who can change it now, and can I get permission to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> Cheers,
> David Fetter david@fetter.org http://fetter.org/
> phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778
>
> Remember to vote!
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> ISTM there should also be a note about the new projects.postgresql.org
> infrastructure and we should update the main www page as well, unless
> there is a reason to hold off on that?  Josh, whats the story with the
> foundries performance issues?

Apparently pgFoundry shares hardware with some hub.org sites that regularly
get hammered.    It's a little hard for us to tell -- we just have VM access.
But the result is that pgFoundry is very sluggish already, and we don't want
to drag a whole bunch of GBorg projects until we get it fixed.

The secondary issue is someone to help with it; I'm going to ask Tom Copeland,
and if he can't I'll broadcast a request.   Andrew D. is burned out and I'm
still sick.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Do you have a list of the process involved in moving a given project? I
might be able to pitch in. (Given that I have such an extremely empty
plate.. hah!)

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 16:40, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > ISTM there should also be a note about the new projects.postgresql.org
> > infrastructure and we should update the main www page as well, unless
> > there is a reason to hold off on that?  Josh, whats the story with the
> > foundries performance issues?
>
> Apparently pgFoundry shares hardware with some hub.org sites that regularly
> get hammered.    It's a little hard for us to tell -- we just have VM access.
> But the result is that pgFoundry is very sluggish already, and we don't want
> to drag a whole bunch of GBorg projects until we get it fixed.
>
> The secondary issue is someone to help with it; I'm going to ask Tom Copeland,
> and if he can't I'll broadcast a request.   Andrew D. is burned out and I'm
> still sick.
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
Robert Treat
Date:
I guess one would have to ask what the formula is for getting the
project into the top 5?  Surely slony has had more cvs activity going on
than pgreplicator, though I'd grant you that pgreplicator could have
more page views...

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 16:33, Chris Ryan wrote:
>     While it is within my capability to fudge the results of the Top
> projects list I have not done so since the last time it was re-enabled
> from the first move. Additionally while the pgreplication project
> itself does not have the momentum it used to I am far from the believe
> that is is an inactive project. Not to mention the fact that they have
> done a good job of linking to some of the other replication based
> projects that could be viewed as competitors.
>
>     Ultimately I have no preference, except to let the system run as
> inteded. I can alter the counts to bring up another project, slony1
> perhaps, which would bump off the pgreplication project from the top
> project list. However this wouldn't guarentee that it would stay that
> way.
>
> Chris Ryan
>
> --- David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > Kind people,
> >
> > There are some things on the front page of gborg that need changing
> > pronto, namely the highlighting of the "pgreplication" project, which
> > hasn't been active in years.
> >
> > Who can change it now, and can I get permission to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > David Fetter david@fetter.org http://fetter.org/
> > phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778
> >
> > Remember to vote!
> >
> > ---------------------------(end of
> >
> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
Chris Ryan
Date:
    The rank of a project has a direct correlation to the number of
page views a project receives over a period of time. The period of time
is from the last time the ranks were manually reset or scaled down.
This was a few months ago and I scaled the ranks.

Chris Ryan

--- Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> I guess one would have to ask what the formula is for getting the
> project into the top 5?  Surely slony has had more cvs activity going
> on
> than pgreplicator, though I'd grant you that pgreplicator could have
> more page views...
>
> Robert Treat
>
> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 16:33, Chris Ryan wrote:
> >     While it is within my capability to fudge the results of the
> Top
> > projects list I have not done so since the last time it was
> re-enabled
> > from the first move. Additionally while the pgreplication project
> > itself does not have the momentum it used to I am far from the
> believe
> > that is is an inactive project. Not to mention the fact that they
> have
> > done a good job of linking to some of the other replication based
> > projects that could be viewed as competitors.
> >
> >     Ultimately I have no preference, except to let the system run
> as
> > inteded. I can alter the counts to bring up another project, slony1
> > perhaps, which would bump off the pgreplication project from the
> top
> > project list. However this wouldn't guarentee that it would stay
> that
> > way.
> >
> > Chris Ryan
> >
> > --- David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > > Kind people,
> > >
> > > There are some things on the front page of gborg that need
> changing
> > > pronto, namely the highlighting of the "pgreplication" project,
> which
> > > hasn't been active in years.
> > >
> > > Who can change it now, and can I get permission to fix it?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance :)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > --
> > > David Fetter david@fetter.org http://fetter.org/
> > > phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778
> > >
> > > Remember to vote!
> > >
> > > ---------------------------(end of
> > > broadcast)---------------------------
> > > TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> > >
> > >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

> > Friends.  Fun.  Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
> > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Robert,
>
>> ISTM there should also be a note about the new projects.postgresql.org
>> infrastructure and we should update the main www page as well, unless
>> there is a reason to hold off on that?  Josh, whats the story with the
>> foundries performance issues?
>
> Apparently pgFoundry shares hardware with some hub.org sites that
> regularly get hammered.

Actually, the other way around ... there are two postgresql.org VMs on
that machine (archives and pgfoundry) ... if there is a load spike on the
machine, and I do a ps, I usually see one (or several) of the gforge cron
jobs running in the top 10 ... or the mhonarc stuff on archives ...

Its the same with jupiter ... when load spikes, its usually majordomo
processes that I see in the top 10 ...

I was hoping to pick up our first Dual-AMD about 3 weeks ago, but its been
delayed while we wait for a cheque to arrive ...

----

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> Do you have a list of the process involved in moving a given project? I
> might be able to pitch in. (Given that I have such an extremely empty
> plate.. hah!)

The idea is (was?) to make it as transparent as possible ... so, there is
some database conversions that have to be made, namely for the bug
tracking system(s), then the mailman archives and CVSROOTs have to be
physically moved over ...

There was a script written that handled all of the backend/database stuff
... and the physical moving of files is a simple scp from gborg -> gforge
into the write directories ...

----

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Can we reset the stats again then? There is grumblings that the top 5 is
looking stale and I tend to agree. If it's not these projects will float
back to the top anyways.

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 20:40, Chris Ryan wrote:
>     The rank of a project has a direct correlation to the number of
> page views a project receives over a period of time. The period of time
> is from the last time the ranks were manually reset or scaled down.
> This was a few months ago and I scaled the ranks.
>
> Chris Ryan
>
> --- Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > I guess one would have to ask what the formula is for getting the
> > project into the top 5?  Surely slony has had more cvs activity going
> > on
> > than pgreplicator, though I'd grant you that pgreplicator could have
> > more page views...
> >
> > Robert Treat
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 16:33, Chris Ryan wrote:
> > >     While it is within my capability to fudge the results of the
> > Top
> > > projects list I have not done so since the last time it was
> > re-enabled
> > > from the first move. Additionally while the pgreplication project
> > > itself does not have the momentum it used to I am far from the
> > believe
> > > that is is an inactive project. Not to mention the fact that they
> > have
> > > done a good job of linking to some of the other replication based
> > > projects that could be viewed as competitors.
> > >
> > >     Ultimately I have no preference, except to let the system run
> > as
> > > inteded. I can alter the counts to bring up another project, slony1
> > > perhaps, which would bump off the pgreplication project from the
> > top
> > > project list. However this wouldn't guarentee that it would stay
> > that
> > > way.
> > >
> > > Chris Ryan

> > changing
> > which

> > > Friends.  Fun.  Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
> > > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

> > --
> > Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

Re: Updates to gborg site

From
Chris Ryan
Date:
Robert,

    I have drastically scalled the rankings on the projects. This has
put the project more or less on even footing.