Mirror how-to?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Devrim,

Will the same IP address be used for the rsync?

Once I know, I'll assign a hostname and give you rsync access. You will
need to be able to setup a virtualhost.

Regards, Dave

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
elein
Date:
I want to know this too.

--elein@varlena.com

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:28:52PM +0200, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Elein,

In order to get started, i need to get the following info from you
please:

- Geographic Location of server (just the country)
- IP address of mirror server
- Port number if non-standard
- Hostnames/ip addresses of 1 or 2 machines that you will use to rsync
the site (rsync is the only update method we support). For most sites
this will be the same as the server
- Path to content (for ftp servers - eg: /pub/postgresql)

You will need to be able to setup a virtualhost on your server for a web
mirror.

Once I have these details I can add them to our mirror system which will
allow you to access the rsync server and have your mirror(s) listed on
the main site. I will also then assign you a mirror hostname to use in
your virtualserver configuration.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi!

Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> BTW, could you please check the mirror list for Turkish domains? I saw a
> mirror in:
>
> http://oc.cs.msu.su/pgorg/mirrors
>
> which links to www4.tr.postgresql.org, which is a non-existent domain.

Er, please have in mind that this page is not official in any way. I just needed
to display some mirrors and did an update on DB that effectively showed all of
them, including the ones that are not working anymore.

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"

It's www5.tr.postgresql.org. The mirror numbers are assigned to each
organisation whether they are ftp or www. As there are already a number
of ftp and www mirrors listed that means that 5 is next :-(

I've set this up now and the system should create DNS records and grant
rsync access within 24 hours.

Please setup a cron job to sync content at least every 24 hours using a
command like:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -avz --delete rsync.postgresql.org::pgsql-www
/path/to/wwwcontent

> BTW, could you please check the mirror list for Turkish
> domains? I saw a mirror in:
>
> http://oc.cs.msu.su/pgorg/mirrors
>
> which links to www4.tr.postgresql.org, which is a non-existent domain.

Yeah, that's just because Alexey has snapshot data. There is a www4 it
just isn't active at the moment so it's DNS record has been removed.

Regards Dave.

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"

Yeah, been meaning to for a while. Fancy writing something?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, 'fraid so.

These are the current mirrors for Turkey:

FTP Mirror  Web Mirror  Provider
ftp.tr                  Gazi University
ftp2.tr                 politics.ankara.edu.tr
ftp3.tr                 ulakbim.gov.tr
            www4.tr     IDEA INTERNET
            www5.tr     TDMSoft

www.tr doesn't currently exist, but is reserved for Gazi University.
Likewise, ftp4.tr is reserved for Idea Internet.

Regards Dave.

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"

Excellent - thanks!

/D

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"

It's not that bad!

> Maybe I can rephrase your words:

mirror-howto.php
<h3>Mirroring the FTP or web site</h3>

Our mirror sites are provided to us on a voluntary basis by various
supporters around the world. If you wish to mirror PostgreSQL.org FTP or
web sites, we need the following information to get started:

- Geographic location of server.
- IP address of mirror server, or a hostname is a CNAME DNS record is
required.
- Port number if non-standard.
- IP addresses of 1 or 2 machines that you will use to rsync the site.
For most sites this will be the same as the server.
- Path to content (for FTP servers - eg: /pub/postgresql).

Please send these details to webmaster@PostgreSQL.org. Our webmasters
will contact you as soon as possible. In return for mirroring a site, we
can offer you free inclusion in our <a href="/sponsor.html">sponsorship
advert program</a>. If you wish to take up this offer please forward a
suitable advert and the target URL to the webmaster following activation
of your mirror.

Please note that as of 2004-02-13, the FTP site requires around 2GB of
space, and the website requires approximately 165MB. Both sites should
be expected to grow, particularly the FTP site.

How about that?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> How about that?

Perfect. Below, HTML tags are inserted:

 mirror-howto.php
<P>
 <h3>Mirroring the FTP or web site</h3>

<BR><BR>

 Our mirror sites are provided to us on a voluntary basis by various
 supporters around the world. If you wish to mirror PostgreSQL.org FTP or
 web sites, we need the following information to get started:

  <BR><BR>
<ul>
<li> Geographic location of server.
<li> IP address of mirror server, or a hostname is a CNAME DNS record is required.
<li> Port number if non-standard.
<li> IP addresses of 1 or 2 machines that you will use to rsync the site.
 For most sites this will be the same as the server.
<li> Path to content (for FTP servers - eg: /pub/postgresql).
</ul>
<BR><BR>

 Please send these details to <a href="webmaster@PostgreSQL.org>webmaster@PostgreSQL.org</a>.
 Our webmasters will contact you as soon as possible. In return for
 mirroring a site, we can offer you free inclusion in our <a
 href="/sponsor.html">sponsorship advert program</a>. If you wish to take
 up this offer please forward a suitable advert and the target URL to the
 webmaster following activation of your mirror.
<BR><BR>
 Please note that as of 2004-02-13, the FTP site requires around 2GB of
 space, and the website requires approximately 165MB. Both sites should
 be expected to grow, particularly the FTP site.
</P>

Dave, could you please submit it to CVS?

Regards,
- --
Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim@gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr
            http://www.TDMSoft.com
            http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
elein
Date:
Can I take this and publish it more or less as is
(perhaps with the rsync command line, too, though)
in an article General Bits to promote more mirroring?

--elein

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:53:27PM +0200, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Dave Page wrote:
>
> > How about that?
>
> Perfect. Below, HTML tags are inserted:
>
>  mirror-howto.php
>  ========================================================================
> <P>
>  <h3>Mirroring the FTP or web site</h3>
>
> <BR><BR>
>
>  Our mirror sites are provided to us on a voluntary basis by various
>  supporters around the world. If you wish to mirror PostgreSQL.org FTP or
>  web sites, we need the following information to get started:
>
>   <BR><BR>
> <ul>
> <li> Geographic location of server.
> <li> IP address of mirror server, or a hostname is a CNAME DNS record is required.
> <li> Port number if non-standard.
> <li> IP addresses of 1 or 2 machines that you will use to rsync the site.
>  For most sites this will be the same as the server.
> <li> Path to content (for FTP servers - eg: /pub/postgresql).
> </ul>
> <BR><BR>
>
>  Please send these details to <a href="webmaster@PostgreSQL.org>webmaster@PostgreSQL.org</a>.
>  Our webmasters will contact you as soon as possible. In return for
>  mirroring a site, we can offer you free inclusion in our <a
>  href="/sponsor.html">sponsorship advert program</a>. If you wish to take
>  up this offer please forward a suitable advert and the target URL to the
>  webmaster following activation of your mirror.
> <BR><BR>
>  Please note that as of 2004-02-13, the FTP site requires around 2GB of
>  space, and the website requires approximately 165MB. Both sites should
>  be expected to grow, particularly the FTP site.
> </P>
>  ========================================================================
>
> Dave, could you please submit it to CVS?
>
> Regards,
> - --
> Devrim GUNDUZ
> devrim@gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr
>             http://www.TDMSoft.com
>             http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"

The final version is online now at
http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-howto.html. Feel free to publish it,
but I must admit to starting to think that maybe we have enough mirrors
now - as I type there are 77 ftp mirrors and 49 web mirrors that are
active, and a lot more that are currently offline for whatever reason.
That's starting to be a lot of bandwidth just to keep them sync'ed up
and we know from a previous stats exercise that some of them get very
few hits.

What do others think?

Regards Dave.

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
David Costa
Date:
On Feb 19, 2004, at 9:28 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> The final version is online now at
> http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-howto.html. Feel free to publish it,
> but I must admit to starting to think that maybe we have enough mirrors
> now - as I type there are 77 ftp mirrors and 49 web mirrors that are
> active, and a lot more that are currently offline for whatever reason.
> That's starting to be a lot of bandwidth just to keep them sync'ed up
> and we know from a previous stats exercise that some of them get very
> few hits.

Hi Dave,
just thinking lout, but on php.net they do limit 2 mirrors per country
(4 for USA as the only exception I think).
They do that for bandwidth purposes.

Furthermore, the php webmasters have a script to monitor when a mirror
goes down. If the downtime is over 1-2 days they
will remove it from the list and email the mirror owner.

In your case they get automagically deleted from the live list (as far
as I understand) which is a good thing®
I might suggest that we email (I can help you with this, if needed) the
offline mirrors.

I can also have the switch.ch Sunsite to mirror postgresql. This might
come handy because, as far as I can see,
you do not have a mirror in Switzerland. (Nothing urgent thou..)

Eventually there could be an "official rule" to limit the number of
mirrors in a said country.

For the hits, I think that the general server load will be properly
distributed when we will adopt the ip-2-country redirection. It would
also be nice if the mirrors will keep at least one link
pointing to the mirror site in their own website (as we do on dotgeek).
This will also help as a sort of promotion.

ta muchly
David Costa

> What do others think?
>
> Regards Dave.
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, we have a similar system.

> In your case they get automagically deleted from the live
> list (as far as I understand) which is a good thing(r) I might
> suggest that we email (I can help you with this, if needed)
> the offline mirrors.

Hmm, that is a potentially tricky. /mirrors-ftp.php and -www.php both
include only mirrors that have sync'ed in the last 48 hours, however the
DNS build script includes all hosts that have sync'ed within 7 days
iirc. The main reason is to prevent dropping DNS records for sites that
are only offline for a short while.

The best bet would probably be to add a flag to the mirrors table. If
the last sync time goes past 48 hours ago, and the flag is not set, then
an email is sent and the flag set for that mirror to prevent further
messages. Whenever a mirror is sync'ed it's flag is unset.

That would require a script, and mods to the database (the unsetting of
the flag could be handled by a suitable trigger).

> I can also have the switch.ch Sunsite to mirror postgresql.
> This might come handy because, as far as I can see, you do
> not have a mirror in Switzerland. (Nothing urgent thou..)

There are, but they are both offline since 2004-02-01 :-(

Regards, Dave.

Re: Mirror how-to?

From
elein
Date:
If we really do not need more mirrors, it is not important
to publish this info.  A while back Marc, if I recall, was
soliciting more mirrors.  That is why I was suggesting it.
If we've reached our bandwidth limits, then it is not
an issue.

--elein