Re: development questions

From
"Dave Page"

As far as I'm aware in all cases we did, though it may have been
off-list. Unfortunately many people don't necessarily expect you to say
"yes please, that would  be great - how do you think you can help?"

Also don't forget that -www has manually approved subscriptions, so
these offers on the list you speak of must have come from people that
were already here and helping...

Regards, Dave.

Re: development questions

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi!

Dave Page wrote:
>>Heh, I don't think PostgreSQL community will be able to raise
>>*that* much money.
>>But I looked through pgsql-www archives and there were people
>>offering professional design for postgresql.org for free.
>>What prevents you from contacting them?
>

> As far as I'm aware in all cases we did, though it may have been
> off-list. Unfortunately many people don't necessarily expect you to say
> "yes please, that would  be great - how do you think you can help?"
>
> Also don't forget that -www has manually approved subscriptions, so
> these offers on the list you speak of must have come from people that
> were already here and helping...

I don't understand you here, please clarify.

Here is a message from Josh Berkus[1] reading:
"Thirdly, and most importantly:   A professional design firm has offered
their pro-bono help with web design (they are PostgreSQL users).   Do we
want them involved in the WWW effort, and if so, how?"

It received the following reply from you[2]:
"I think we need some commitment of the work being undertaken by the
rest of the team first - our major problem seems to be that although
we're all basically enthusiastic, we're all pretty busy. I think the
main priorities right now should be v3.0, but then there is also a new
techdocs site to consider as well. So, Andreas, Michael et al. can you
let us know if you have any sort of roadmap for getting v3 live?"

My experience (4 years, in case you wonder) of web-development tells me
that design issues are pretty orthogonal to programming. And if we (ok,
there is no *we* yet) really want to roll out the next generation site,
the design effort can start in parallel to the programming one right
now. I don't also see how the fact of main developers being busy should
prevent the work of outside contributors from happening.

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2003-12/msg00054.php
[2] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2003-12/msg00055.php

Re: development questions

From
David Costa
Date:
Hello Dave, Alexey, everyone!
Just an idea.

If the main issue is time for the www leaders, like you and Marc, would
it help if someone (me) could make a voluntary donation (in money)
which can be used to further enhance some parts of the site? This could
pay your time or Marc's time as if it was a professional assignment.

I am personally work on the XML feature, I should have an alpha version
later tonight. But if the issue is the time, I could make such a
donation.

For the record I am doing this without any sort of hidden benefit. I
work full time as a College Professor so I do not have a development
company who might
possibly benefit from a new website functionality. My gesture is for
the good of the community.

Talking about the PHP world, which I am part of, I think there is a lot
of potential. People are using MySQL because has this myth of being
easier to use, but also
because they do have an excellent documentation (we have that too) and
because of the advocacy work.

I am ready to help out with some intensive advocacy to the PHP world.
If some new website functionality might help, why not ?

Cheers
David Costa

On Feb 16, 2004, at 9:30 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Re: development questions

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, David Costa wrote:

> Hello Dave, Alexey, everyone!
> Just an idea.
>
> If the main issue is time for the www leaders, like you and Marc, would
> it help if someone (me) could make a voluntary donation (in money)
> which can be used to further enhance some parts of the site? This could
> pay your time or Marc's time as if it was a professional assignment.

One of the major "problems" right now isn't so much time as it is
appearance of things being done ... right now, Steve and Elein are working
on bricolage to fix/replace the techdocs site ... Andreas(sp?) is working
on some core backend changes for www to deal with language issues ... and
Dave/I just finished some major overhauls of both the search engine and
the list archives ...

Until Andreas is finished, we are kind of holding off on any major
changes that would make his work that much harder ...

Now, from what I've heard/seen of the work Alexey is working on, I've
heard no negative remarks on it, so once the rest is ready, there should
be no problems with upgrading to it ...

----
Email: scrappy@hub.org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Re: development questions

From
David Costa
Date:
On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:18 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> If the main issue is time for the www leaders, like you and Marc,
>> would
>> it help if someone (me) could make a voluntary donation (in money)
>> which can be used to further enhance some parts of the site? This
>> could
>> pay your time or Marc's time as if it was a professional assignment.
>
> One of the major "problems" right now isn't so much time as it is
> appearance of things being done ... right now, Steve and Elein are
> working
> on bricolage to fix/replace the techdocs site ... Andreas(sp?) is
> working
> on some core backend changes for www to deal with language issues ...
> and
> Dave/I just finished some major overhauls of both the search engine and
> the list archives ...

Great! Still, if at any stage you need some support for a new hard disk
or anything which goes
to PostgreSQL count on my possibility to donate.

> Until Andreas is finished, we are kind of holding off on any major
> changes that would make his work that much harder ...
>
> Now, from what I've heard/seen of the work Alexey is working on, I've
> heard no negative remarks on it, so once the rest is ready, there
> should
> be no problems with upgrading to it ...

Sounds great. From my side I am just doing some little experimenting
with XML and I will post something official once I see it working :D
As I said is not something that should be adopted. Just some ideas.
Thanks again for your time,
Regards
David Costa

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Re: development questions

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 16 February 2004 09:49, David Costa wrote:
> Hello Dave, Alexey, everyone!
> Just an idea.
>
> If the main issue is time for the www leaders, like you and Marc, would
> it help if someone (me) could make a voluntary donation (in money)
> which can be used to further enhance some parts of the site? This could
> pay your time or Marc's time as if it was a professional assignment.

This would help for me, but unfortunatly not right now as my schedule is full
and I am not taking on any new projects.  Before taking on my next project
though I could let you know that I have some availability.  It would be
somewhat wierd for me though, as I do a number of things for the community at
no charge in my free time, but it's also true free time competes with paid
time on an unequal footing.

Robert Treat

Re: development questions

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi!

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> One of the major "problems" right now isn't so much time as it is
> appearance of things being done ... right now, Steve and Elein are working
> on bricolage to fix/replace the techdocs site ... Andreas(sp?) is working
> on some core backend changes for www to deal with language issues ... and
> Dave/I just finished some major overhauls of both the search engine and
> the list archives ...
>
> Until Andreas is finished, we are kind of holding off on any major
> changes that would make his work that much harder ...

Well, when I asked about the current todo list about a month back
Andreas wrote[1] that he didn't have time to work on the website since
November and will not have time to work on it for another 2 or 3 months.

That's one of the reasons why I began doing the changes to his code...

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-01/msg00050.php