http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi all,

I just rediscovered Justin's test Plone site (which wasn't working well
when I tried it before). Despite is being only there for testing it now
seems to have nearly 500 users and appears to work quite well now.

The only problems I found are:

- The calendar on the right which seemed to have no purpose other than
to make site indexers get in a mess.

- I think the user 'levels' need work. At present, everyone seems to be
a member (even Justin) and able to edit anything, even the site
configuration. I think if this site were to be used for techdocs
permanently, normal users should not be able to add or edit documents
(only add comments etc), with higher lever users being able to create
and edit documents with higher still managing the site config etc.

What do the rest of you think about this site?

Regards, Dave.

Re: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> > > was kind of my thinking as well, which was why i started
> > > leaning toward using openacs.  however I think josh's main
> > > requirements were simply to have the
> > > ability to publish articles without having to resort to
> > > handcoding html.
> > > ISTM user comments were secondary to him.

And one other thing, based on the requirements of some of our community
writers; there needs to be some ability to add "locked" content.  For
example, if I republish my article from Linux Magazine (due out in 2 weeks,
yah!) it has to go up as "locked" content with a shared copyright.  I can't
have people modifying it per my agreement with Linux Magazine.

Also, most mature Wiki systems allow user comments.   This is a non-issue.

> I just rediscovered Justin's test Plone site (which wasn't working well
> when I tried it before). Despite is being only there for testing it now
> seems to have nearly 500 users and appears to work quite well now.
>
> What do the rest of you think about this site?

Justin's and my problem with Plone was that is was intolerably slow on updates
and administrative interfaces; some of the admin screens took over a minute
just to load.   And this was with just him, me & Elein on it.

Also, the plone "look" says "Plone" not "PostgreSQL".   However, if it gets
something up and running in a hurry, I can certainly live with that.

If we've got it performing better now, it's worth a 2nd look.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From
"Dave Page"

The only really noticable speed issues I saw whilst playing were local
network issues. I editted one page and it certainly wasn't noticably
slower than our other php admin interface.

> Also, the plone "look" says "Plone" not "PostgreSQL".
> However, if it gets
> something up and running in a hurry, I can certainly live with that.
>
> If we've got it performing better now, it's worth a 2nd look.

I think so. It looks nice, and seems quite usable and maintainable. Like
I said, the only real issues I noticed were the lack of access controls
(users should not be able to modify config nor (imho) content) and the
seemingly useless calendar (is that some kind of 'see this folder how it
was on xx-xx-xxxx' control?)

Regards, Dave.

Re: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave,

> The only really noticable speed issues I saw whilst playing were local
> network issues. I editted one page and it certainly wasn't noticably
> slower than our other php admin interface.

OK.   Do we want to give it a try?  I would eliminate one item I've been
procrastinating on for some time, and I'd be happy to relieve Robert of any
Techdocs maint based on Plone.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Dave,
>
> > The only really noticable speed issues I saw whilst playing were local
> > network issues. I editted one page and it certainly wasn't noticably
> > slower than our other php admin interface.
>
> OK.   Do we want to give it a try?  I would eliminate one item I've been
> procrastinating on for some time, and I'd be happy to relieve Robert of any
> Techdocs maint based on Plone.

'k, is this replacing techdocs, or just part of techdocs?

----

Re: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 16 January 2004 17:16, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Dave,
> >
> > > The only really noticable speed issues I saw whilst playing were local
> > > network issues. I editted one page and it certainly wasn't noticably
> > > slower than our other php admin interface.
> >
> > OK.   Do we want to give it a try?  I would eliminate one item I've been
> > procrastinating on for some time, and I'd be happy to relieve Robert of
> > any Techdocs maint based on Plone.
>
> 'k, is this replacing techdocs, or just part of techdocs?

If we're going to do it, we need to replace the whole thing IMO.

Robert Treat

Re: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From
"Dave Page"

All of it I think. Steve, what do you think?

Regards, Dave.

Re: techdocs/v2 and Bricolage

From
"Steve Simms"
Date:
Robert Treat said:
> On Friday 16 January 2004 17:16, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> > Dave,

The site seems a little slow to me -- it took five seconds to bring up the
home page, compared to two for the postgresql.org home page.  Not terrible,
but noticeable.

>> > OK.   Do we want to give it a try?  I would eliminate one item I've been
>> > procrastinating on for some time, and I'd be happy to relieve Robert of
>> > any Techdocs maint based on Plone.

The structured text aspect of plone seems to be a bit iffy to me.  In
particular, it looks like there's a *lot* of indenting involved based on their
description of it (http://plone.org/documentation/book/10).

Other concerns:

- Inline preformatted text is done with apostrophes.  This seems prone to
accidents, particularly if you try to use SQL inline.

- It *looks* like you can only do preformatted text if the preceding paragraph
ends in a colon (which needs to be doubled).

- It replaces HTML with another formatting language.  It attempts to be
simpler, but I'm not sure if it succeeds.

A good test would be to take an article that has a fair number of SQL examples
in it, and port it to plone's format.  If this were done by someone who's
already written articles (and might do so again) -- I'm thinking of Josh, that
would be particularly helpful.

>> 'k, is this replacing techdocs, or just part of techdocs?
>
> If we're going to do it, we need to replace the whole thing IMO.

I agree.  We don't need to add another method of storage/delivery if we can
avoid it.

As of last night, I have Bricolage installed on a server, and am now
attempting to figure out how to use it (not very obvious).  As far as I can
tell, it publishes plain HTML to any number of servers, without needing
anything special running on the destination web server, so it'll be hard to
beat that for speed.  It also allows for writing, editing, approving and
publishing as separate steps (the last two might be combined).

From a content writer's perspective, it looks pretty simple.  I'm guessing
that the initial setup is going to be the worst part of it.

That's about all I can tell you at the moment, however.  I'm not sure how
formatting works, or internationalization.

Should I keep looking at this, or move to plone instead?

Steve Simms
Database Developer & Administrator
Medical Media Systems, Inc.

Date:
On Saturday 17 January 2004 09:55, Steve Simms wrote:
> Robert Treat said:
>
> Should I keep looking at this, or move to plone instead?

IMO keep looking at it.

Robert Treat