Replacing @ with " at "

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From
"Dave Page"

Thanks Devrim, commited.

> I saw something on index.php; but I'm not sure that it works:
>
>  ereg_replace("@", "@", pg_result($rs, $x, "posted_by"))

That was done by Greg Sabino Mullane

Regards, Dave.

Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From
"Dave Page"

Thanks, committed.

> BTW: index.php and index.html are not in sync for hours. IS
> there a problem?

I just ran it manually and it went OK.

BTW; I have now added a build/buildpage script to rebuild just a single
page.

Usage:

$ build/buildpage /index

Unless you are root it'll fail to do the chown at the end, but it should
build OK.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 05 December 2003 06:20, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Dave Page wrote:
> > > I saw something on index.php; but I'm not sure that it works:
> > >
> > >  ereg_replace("@", "@", pg_result($rs, $x, "posted_by"))
> >
> > That was done by Greg Sabino Mullane
>
> hmm. I've edited index.php, and it seems ok now.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/index.php
>
> I've also edited news.php and event.php. Dave, could you please commit all
> three files to CVS?

I have an issue with the way this was done.  The email addresses were left as
links, but the links aren't valid (pops up in your email as foo at bar.com.
Theres a couple solutions to this:

1) Don't make the email address a link
2) make the mailto be a valid link, but the words on the page not
3) add a checkbox to the submit page to "obfuscate email", so that s/@/at, and
not a link, or we'll leave in @ and make it a link.

Robert Treat

Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 09:34 PM, Robert Treat wrote:
> Theres a couple solutions to this:
>
> 1) Don't make the email address a link
> 2) make the mailto be a valid link, but the words on the page not
> 3) add a checkbox to the submit page to "obfuscate email", so that
> s/@/at, and
> not a link, or we'll leave in @ and make it a link.

As for 2, if the mailto is literal text in the html, a spambot is going
to pick it up regardless—my guess is it's even more likely to pick up a
mailto: link than just a address elsewhere on the page. I know there
are ways of obfuscating the email address using Javascript (such as
Hiveware's Enkoder http://www.hiveware.com/enkoder.php for Mac OS X.
Pretty cool, as it even varies the Javascript so bots have more trouble
learning it. I know someone a lot smarter than me can figure out how to
turn this into a server-side solution, and I'm sure someone probably
already has.)

1 & 3 seem fine, though it would be nice of the mailto: worked as a
link.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From
greg@turnstep.com
Date:

Re: Replacing @ with " at "

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 greg@turnstep.com wrote:

> I will propose one final thing: changing press at postgresql.org to
> something else, as that email is likely to get lots of spam for many
> years to come at this point. :(

all the mailing lists are run through Spamassassin, which seems to trap
most of the garbage ... press@ doesn't get much dump'd into the moderators
mailbox ... 20 a week, maybe ...

----

Re: Replacing @ with