Postgres 9.0alpha4?

From
Mario Splivalo
Date:
I was surprised this morning to see that there is new alpha available
for download:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/9.0alpha4/

Really nice! :)

    Mike

Re: Postgres 9.0alpha4?

From
Lou Picciano
Date:
Wow!  If they're following their own numbering scheme, this indicates some pretty serious changes under the hood.

In process of building...   Lou

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mario Splivalo" <mario.splivalo@megafon.hr>
To: pgsql-testers@postgresql.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:38:45 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [TESTERS] Postgres 9.0alpha4?

I was surprised this morning to see that there is new alpha available
for download:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/9.0alpha4/

Really nice! :)

        Mike

Re: Postgres 9.0alpha4?

From
"IP"

Was there any communication related to this release? I can't see it neither in
Feature Matrix nor in any other place except http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-9-0.html.
What's the relationship between 8.5alpha3 and 9.0alpha4? What have happened to earlier alphas of 9.0?
Codziennie 11 tys. ofert pracy
Sprawdz >>> http://link.interia.pl/f25ac

Re: Postgres 9.0alpha4?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 2/24/10 9:46 AM, IP wrote:

> Was there any communication related to this release? I can't see it
> neither in
> Feature Matrix nor in any other place except
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-9-0.html.
> What's the relationship between 8.5alpha3 and 9.0alpha4? What have
> happened to earlier alphas of 9.0?

Oh, the feature matrix.  Good point.

Otherwise, it's here: http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1183

--Josh Berkus

Re: Postgres 9.0alpha4?

From
Lou Picciano
Date:
Thanks, Josh, for the notes - these are helpful.  I'm inferring from them that a new instance build - from an 8.4-alpha - won't be necessary for this one?

The revision of the major version number is a bit misleading; per previous renumbering conventions (dare I say conventions?), the v9 family change would have suggested a major architectural difference.  IE, that an initdb would be required...

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?    Lou

PS - Really looking forward to the replication features.  Already have the SSL build in place.

> Was there any communication related to this release? I can't see it
> neither in
> Feature Matrix nor in any other place except
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-9-0.html.
> What's the relationship between 8.5alpha3 and 9.0alpha4? What have
> happened to earlier alphas of 9.0?

Oh, the feature matrix.  Good point.

Otherwise, it's here: http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.1183

--Josh Berkus

Re: Postgres 9.0alpha4?

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Lou Picciano wrote:

> The revision of the major version number is a bit misleading; per
> previous renumbering conventions (dare I say conventions?), the v9
> family change would have suggested a major architectural difference.
>  IE, that an initdb would be required...

There are major architectural differences internally and externally--the
streaming replication implementation being the main one prompting the
major version number bump, removal of the old way of doing VACUUM FULL
is one of the big internal ones--and an initdb is required.

Re: Postgres 9.0alpha4?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 2/24/10 12:18 PM, Lou Picciano wrote:
> Thanks, Josh, for the notes - these are helpful.  I'm inferring from
> them that a new instance build - from an 8.4-alpha - won't be necessary
> for this one?

Actually, we generally don't bother to make the catalog versions
compatible for alphas; we assume that people are going to re-initdb on a
new build.

> The revision of the major version number is a bit misleading; per
> previous renumbering conventions (dare I say conventions?), the v9
> family change would have suggested a major architectural difference.
>  IE, that an initdb would be required...

That's one reason.  The other reason is major feature changes which will
change the deployment of PostgreSQL, especially when those features can
be assumed to be not-quite-entirely-stable in the first release.  "9.0"
says "New replication technology, may have bugs, use extra testing".

> PS - Really looking forward to the replication features.  Already have
> the SSL build in place.

Yaaay. I look forward to you testing replication over SSL connections.

--Josh Berkus

Re: Postgres 9.0alpha4?

From
Lou Picciano
Sold.  I stand convinced.  (Tks for clarifying).

--
Greg Smith  2ndQuadrant US  Baltimore, MD
greg@2ndQuadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us