8.5alpha3 - General Impression

From
"IP"
Date:
I joined PostgreSQL test community in December last year, at alpha3 stage. Maybe it is difficut to find bugs in mature alphas, maybe it's too close to release to find huge issues, maybe it's a matter of what I'm focusing on, maybe... Or maybe that's just about who is coding and how is coding. I am really impressed with the quality of what you are doing. Great job! On the other hand - I hope to find more bugs in next alphas ;-)
Codziennie 11 tys. ofert pracy
Sprawdz >>> http://link.interia.pl/f25ac

Re: 8.5alpha3 - General Impression

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 2/2/10 1:28 PM, IP wrote:

> I joined PostgreSQL test community in December last year, at alpha3
> stage. Maybe it is difficut to find bugs in mature alphas, maybe it's
> too close to release to find huge issues, maybe it's a matter of what
> I'm focusing on, maybe... Or maybe that's just about who is coding
> and how is coding. I am really impressed with the quality of what you
> are doing. Great job! On the other hand - I hope to find more bugs in
> next alphas ;-)

Negative reports are really helpful.  Can you post to the list some of
the tests you tried which didn't produce any bugs?

--Josh Berkus

Re: 8.5alpha3 - General Impression

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
David,

> I have two Ubuntu 9.10 servers ready to run a test on hot standby
> (plus setting up my test rig for a 100 table and 100 view plus
> application) if you can direct me to a binary that I can install
> on Ubuntu (Linux) without too much hassle.  I joined a call that
> discussed availability of a relatively easy install a couple of
> weeks ago but haven't heard anything since.

The alphas are pretty much released in source code form only.

However, compiling them is easy:

1) Install the "flex", "automake", "gcc", "bison" packages

2) ./configure --prefix=/some/test/location
    make
    make install
    make check

--Josh

Re: 8.5alpha3 - General Impression

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 08:07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> David,
>
>> I have two Ubuntu 9.10 servers ready to run a test on hot standby
>> (plus setting up my test rig for a 100 table and 100 view plus
>> application) if you can direct me to a binary that I can install
>> on Ubuntu (Linux) without too much hassle.  I joined a call that
>> discussed availability of a relatively easy install a couple of
>> weeks ago but haven't heard anything since.
>
> The alphas are pretty much released in source code form only.
>
> However, compiling them is easy:
>
> 1) Install the "flex", "automake", "gcc", "bison" packages

The easier way to do this on ubuntu is of course to just do
sudo apt-get build-dep postgresql

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/