8.5alpha3, Karmic Koala and OpenJade Question

From
Andrew Lardinois
Date:
I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10.  Have done nothing but install.  Attempting to install Postgresql-8.5alpha3 I have encountered three ./configure hiccups:
1.  --without-readline
2. --without-zlib
These first two were an easy fix.  Add the package.  The third, however, I do not recall ever seeing before.
3.  --OpenJade, the dsssl engine.

I have poked around my system, did not find this package, and am working on adding OpenJade.  But my question is, is this a new dependency?  If not, how was it so transparent to me before?

Maybe I am not grasping all the reasons OpenJade is required by Postgresql.  For the documentation translation engine, sure.  Man pages sure.  Using Docbook, which all Postgresql users can be expected to be using?  What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Andrew Lardinois

Re: 8.5alpha3, Karmic Koala and OpenJade Question

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Andrew Lardinois wrote:
> I have poked around my system, did not find this package, and am
> working on adding OpenJade.  But my question is, is this a new
> dependency?  If not, how was it so transparent to me before?

It's not new for building the documentation; whole subject is covered at
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/docguide-toolsets.html
(which has a full list of specific debian packages you might try
installing all of).  Not sure why you're building in a way that's
including the docs now but weren't before--are you building into a dpkg
and somebody changed the spec maybe?

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com