Seeking Google SoC Mentors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
The next Summer of Code is just around the corner.

Last year, we had 46 submissions and seven we accepted.  Out of the SoC we got
two ongoing contributors, several good patches, two code refactors and even
an employee for a PostgreSQL company.  I'd like to see us do the same this
year!

Therefore, we need volunteer mentors.  Here's how it works:

-- You help review and rate submissions in March.
-- From May-August, you mentor one or two SoC students in working on
PostgreSQL patches.  This means that you must be readily available to your
student(s) during this summer and have time (2-5 hours per week, more at the
beginning) to coach them.
-- You need to evaluate the student's progress both midsummer and on
completion.
-- You prepare the student code for submission as an 8.4 feature, if
applicable.
-- Around October, Google gives SPI $500 for your mentoring.  You can choose
to take this money (less transaction fees) or leave it as a donation.  You
also get a nifty t-shirt.

We're looking for mentors who are:
    -- patient
    -- available
    -- knowledgeable in depth in some particular area/add-in to PostgreSQL
    -- interested in reviewing student code
    -- interested in helping create the next generation of contributors

Particularly we'd like people who can mentor on:
    -- PostgreSQL internals
    -- GIS
    -- applications & client tools
    -- advanced indexing
    -- XML
    ... based on last year's submissions, but there will be more this year.

Also, I am looking for contacts at universities where I can direct notices
when SoC opens.

E-mail me ASAP.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: [HACKERS] Seeking Google SoC Mentors

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> The next Summer of Code is just around the corner.
>
> Last year, we had 46 submissions and seven we accepted.  Out of the SoC we got
> two ongoing contributors, several good patches, two code refactors and even
> an employee for a PostgreSQL company.  I'd like to see us do the same this
> year!
>
> Therefore, we need volunteer mentors.  Here's how it works:
>
> -- You help review and rate submissions in March.
> -- From May-August, you mentor one or two SoC students in working on
> PostgreSQL patches.  This means that you must be readily available to your
> student(s) during this summer and have time (2-5 hours per week, more at the
> beginning) to coach them.
> -- You need to evaluate the student's progress both midsummer and on
> completion.
> -- You prepare the student code for submission as an 8.4 feature, if
> applicable.
> -- Around October, Google gives SPI $500 for your mentoring.  You can choose
> to take this money (less transaction fees) or leave it as a donation.  You
> also get a nifty t-shirt.
>
> We're looking for mentors who are:
>     -- patient
>     -- available
>     -- knowledgeable in depth in some particular area/add-in to PostgreSQL
>     -- interested in reviewing student code
>     -- interested in helping create the next generation of contributors
>
> Particularly we'd like people who can mentor on:
>     -- PostgreSQL internals
>     -- GIS
>     -- applications & client tools
>     -- advanced indexing
>     -- XML
>     ... based on last year's submissions, but there will be more this year.
>
> Also, I am looking for contacts at universities where I can direct notices
> when SoC opens.
>
> E-mail me ASAP.

Is there a list of projects? Or can we suggest some?

cheers

andrew

Re: [HACKERS] Seeking Google SoC Mentors

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andrew,

> Is there a list of projects? Or can we suggest some?

Suggest away, please!

I'm going to update the website soon, would appreciate new content.

--
--Josh

markwkm@gmail.com
Date:
On 2/26/07, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > The next Summer of Code is just around the corner.
> >
> > Last year, we had 46 submissions and seven we accepted.  Out of the SoC we got
> > two ongoing contributors, several good patches, two code refactors and even
> > an employee for a PostgreSQL company.  I'd like to see us do the same this
> > year!
> >
> > Therefore, we need volunteer mentors.  Here's how it works:
> >
> > -- You help review and rate submissions in March.
> > -- From May-August, you mentor one or two SoC students in working on
> > PostgreSQL patches.  This means that you must be readily available to your
> > student(s) during this summer and have time (2-5 hours per week, more at the
> > beginning) to coach them.
> > -- You need to evaluate the student's progress both midsummer and on
> > completion.
> > -- You prepare the student code for submission as an 8.4 feature, if
> > applicable.
> > -- Around October, Google gives SPI $500 for your mentoring.  You can choose
> > to take this money (less transaction fees) or leave it as a donation.  You
> > also get a nifty t-shirt.
> >
> > We're looking for mentors who are:
> >       -- patient
> >       -- available
> >       -- knowledgeable in depth in some particular area/add-in to PostgreSQL
> >       -- interested in reviewing student code
> >       -- interested in helping create the next generation of contributors
> >
> > Particularly we'd like people who can mentor on:
> >       -- PostgreSQL internals
> >       -- GIS
> >       -- applications & client tools
> >       -- advanced indexing
> >       -- XML
> >       ... based on last year's submissions, but there will be more this year.
> >
> > Also, I am looking for contacts at universities where I can direct notices
> > when SoC opens.
> >
> > E-mail me ASAP.
> >

> Is there a list of projects? Or can we suggest some?

I'd like to suggest working on a patch testing tool that was discussed
previously. :)

Regards,
Mark

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andrew,
>

>> Is there a list of projects? Or can we suggest some?
>>

> Suggest away, please!
>
> I'm going to update the website soon, would appreciate new content.

here are a few ideas to be going on with (none of these are new):

buildfarm:

1. Buildfarm web app: is in urgent need of renovation.  (perl + postgres
+ template toolkit. might be nice to rework it as a Catalyst app).
2. Buildfarm client: support downloading patches from an approved
server, doing apply, build, install, and test. (perl + maybe SOAP)
3. Buildfarm client + web app: support running performance tests and
reporting on them (start with pgbench) (s/w as above)

postgres core:

4. allow use of LIKE syntax in all type expressions e.g. select * from
mysrf() as (label text, like foo); create type xx as (label text, like bar);

cheers

andrew

Date:
On 2/26/07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> > Is there a list of projects? Or can we suggest some?
>
> Suggest away, please!
>
> I'm going to update the website soon, would appreciate new content.

I can also volunteer to mentor continuing work on a TPC-E kit, for C
stored procedures and improved results reporting.

Mark