Can I read the data without commit

From
John Fabiani
Date:
Hi,
I know this is a newbie question but I have never had the need to do the
following.

I start a transaction.
Begin

Then I insert a lot of data - let's say two hundred rows.

Now I need to read the same data (so the user can review).

If the user thinks all is right then
commit.

Can I read the data I just inserted without committing?

Johnf

Re: Can I read the data without commit

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Mar 23, 2012, at 5:33 PM, John Fabiani wrote:

> I start a transaction.
> Begin
>
> Then I insert a lot of data - let's say two hundred rows.
>
> Now I need to read the same data (so the user can review).
>
> If the user thinks all is right then
> commit.
>
> Can I read the data I just inserted without committing?

Yes, as long as you run your SELECT within the transaction that you started.

Jonathan

Re: Can I read the data without commit

From
Rob Sargent
Date:
If possible have the review done before starting the transaction.  No
sense in holding on to that stuff too long. Potential concurrency issues
etc.

On 03/23/2012 03:40 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2012, at 5:33 PM, John Fabiani wrote:
>
>> I start a transaction.
>> Begin
>>
>> Then I insert a lot of data - let's say two hundred rows.
>>
>> Now I need to read the same data (so the user can review).
>>
>> If the user thinks all is right then
>> commit.
>>
>> Can I read the data I just inserted without committing?
>
> Yes, as long as you run your SELECT within the transaction that you started.
>
> Jonathan

Re: Can I read the data without commit

From
John Fabiani
Date:
Yes I understand - but I want to know is it possible?  Can I read the data I
just inserted without a commit.
Johnf
On Friday, March 23, 2012 03:46:10 PM Rob Sargent wrote:
> If possible have the review done before starting the transaction.  No
> sense in holding on to that stuff too long. Potential concurrency issues
> etc.
>
> On 03/23/2012 03:40 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > On Mar 23, 2012, at 5:33 PM, John Fabiani wrote:
> >> I start a transaction.
> >> Begin
> >>
> >> Then I insert a lot of data - let's say two hundred rows.
> >>
> >> Now I need to read the same data (so the user can review).
> >>
> >> If the user thinks all is right then
> >> commit.
> >>
> >> Can I read the data I just inserted without committing?
> >
> > Yes, as long as you run your SELECT within the transaction that you
> > started.
> >
> > Jonathan

Re: Can I read the data without commit

From
Rob Sargent
Date:
And I believe Jonathon confirmed that you could, with the caveat that
you must select from within the transaction. I don't see that you've
laid that out your connection stategy so ymmv.

Date:
On Friday, March 23, 2012 04:00:56 PM Rob Sargent wrote:
> And I believe Jonathon confirmed that you could, with the caveat that
> you must select from within the transaction. I don't see that you've
> laid that out your connection stategy so ymmv.

I didn't see Jonathon response?  Must be a direct email to me and not to the
list.

But thanks that helps.

Johnf

Re: Can I read the data without commit

From
Tim Landscheidt
Date:
John Fabiani <johnf@jfcomputer.com> wrote:

> Yes I understand - but I want to know is it possible?  Can I read the data I
> just inserted without a commit.
> [...]

Are you talking about a web application?  Then no, you'll
have to code that yourself.

Tim