"compressing" consecutive values into one

From
Louis-David Mitterrand
Date:
Hi,

On time series price data I'm trying to remove consecutive identical
prices and keep only the latest. I tried:
delete from price where id_price in (select t.id_price2 from (select        first_value(p.id_price) over w as
id_price1,       nth_value(p.id_price, 2) over w as id_price2,        first_value(p.price) over w as price1,
nth_value(p.price,2)over w as price2        from price p        window w as (partition by
p.id_rate,p.id_cabin_category,p.id_cruise       order by p.id_price desc rows between unbounded preceding and
unboundedfollowing)) as t where price1 = price2);

and it mostly works but I have to do several runs to completely
eliminate identical consecutive prices.

Is there a better, one-pass, way?

Thanks,

Re: "compressing" consecutive values into one

From
"Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina"
Date:
Salut, Louis-David,

Can you please state the columns belonging to price table
and give a concrete example?
Say, data before and data after you want to do?

Thank you

A bien-tôt,
Oliveiros

Date:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 03:31:59PM -0000, Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina wrote:
> Salut, Louis-David,
>
> Can you please state the columns belonging to price table
> and give a concrete example?
> Say, data before and data after you want to do?

Hi Cristina,

Data before:
id_price | price----------------1        | 233        | 454        | 456        | 458        | 459        | 89

Data after:
id_price | price----------------1        | 238        | 459        | 89

Thanks,

Re: "compressing" consecutive values into one

From
bricklen
Date:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Louis-David Mitterrand
<vindex+lists-pgsql-sql@apartia.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 03:31:59PM -0000, Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina wrote:
>> Salut, Louis-David,
>>
>> Can you please state the columns belonging to price table
>> and give a concrete example?
>> Say, data before and data after you want to do?
>
> Hi Cristina,
>
> Data before:
>
>        id_price | price
>        ----------------
>        1        | 23
>        3        | 45
>        4        | 45
>        6        | 45
>        8        | 45
>        9        | 89
>
> Data after:
>
>        id_price | price
>        ----------------
>        1        | 23
>        8        | 45
>        9        | 89

select max(id_price),price
from price_table
group by price
order by 1;

Date:
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 04:19:18PM +0100, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On time series price data I'm trying to remove consecutive identical
> prices and keep only the latest. I tried:
>
>     delete from price where id_price in (select t.id_price2 from (select
>             first_value(p.id_price) over w as id_price1,
>             nth_value(p.id_price, 2) over w as id_price2,
>             first_value(p.price) over w as price1,
>             nth_value(p.price,2) over w as price2
>             from price p
>             window w as (partition by p.id_rate,p.id_cabin_category,p.id_cruise
>             order by p.id_price desc rows between unbounded preceding and
>             unbounded following)) as t where price1 = price2);
>
> and it mostly works but I have to do several runs to completely
> eliminate identical consecutive prices.

Actually I found the answer to my own question. It's the WINDOW lag/lead
functions that I needed and this time one pass is enough:
delete from price where id_price in (   select t.id_price1 from (select        lead(p.id_price) over w as id_price1,
   lead(p.price) over w as price1,        p.id_price, p.price         from price p        window w as (partition by
p.id_rate,p.id_cabin_category,p.id_cruise       order by p.id_price rows between unbounded preceding and
unboundedfollowing))     as t where t.price = t.price1);