Timestamp with timezone with Default value

From
"Gianvito Pio"
Date:
Hi all,
how can I define a column of timestamp with timezone type...with a default value?

Thanks

Re: Timestamp with timezone with Default value

From
Jasmin Dizdarevic
Date:
Hi,

i think:
create. ...(

  myCol timestamp with timezone default now()
)
the function now() returns a timestamp with timezone (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/functions-datetime.html)

i currently have no db to test it - but it should work.

jasmin

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dizdarevic Jasmin
Sonnenbergstr. 3
6714 Nüziders, AUT

jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com
+43 664 411 79 29

Re: Timestamp with timezone with Default value

From
Jasen Betts
Date:
On 2009-07-18, Gianvito Pio <pio.gianvito@gmail.com> wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01CA0791.49E30EB0
>
> Hi all,
> how can I define a column of timestamp with timezone type...with a =
> default value?
Same as any other column with a default value.

If you're inserting NULL into the column the NULL will override the
default. Postgres does what you tell it.

If you want the default value use the keyword DEFAULT (in for the
value in that column) or don't mention that column. The DEFAULT
keyword also works with UPDATE.