Desc Commnad in pgsql?

From
VG
Date:
isgive by desc commnad in mysql or oracle.<br />Also specify me the book related to pgsql as a beginner.<br />Presently
/>

Re: Desc Commnad in pgsql?

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Thu, dem 17.04.2008, um 14:17:45 +0530 mailte VG folgendes:

> Hello All,
>
> I like to know how can I achieve the same functionality that is give by desc
> commnad in mysql or oracle.

'desc'? descending, describe, desc...

wild guess: describe, like ORA. You can use \d within psql, please read
the welcome-message.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Desc Commnad in pgsql?

From
Richard Huxton
VG wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I like to know how can I achieve the same functionality that is give by desc
> commnad in mysql or oracle.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-psql.html

See the \d command, e.g. "\d mytable"

There are many different backslash commands that can give you details on
tables, views, functions, schemas etc.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/index.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/

> Presently my task is going to be communication of ruby with pgsql

Start here I suppose:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pg/

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Desc Commnad in pgsql?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
The world rejoiced as vikasraigupta@gmail.com (VG) wrote:
> Hello All,
> I like to know how can I achieve the same functionality that is give by desc commnad in mysql or oracle.
> Also specify me the book related to pgsql as a beginner.
> Presently my task is going to be communication of ruby with pgsql
> Thanks in advanced.

If you were referring to the usage of "desc" to indicate "descending
order", as in:  select * from some table order by id desc
well, that's pretty standard SQL usage, and will work much as it
would in MySQL(tm) or Oracle.

If you're looking for ways to "describe" a table, there are two
mechanisms:
 1.  SQL standard (probably SQL:1993) describes an "information_schema" which contains tables or views that allow
queryingdatabase metadata in a fairly standard fashion.

 PostgreSQL supports that.
 2.  Probably easier and friendlier, albeit nonportable, is to use the psql "\d" command.
 Here's an example:

cbbrowne@wolfe:~> psql ledgersmb
                    Saturday 12:51:13

Welcome to psql 8.1.10, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help with psql commands      \g
orterminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

ledgersmb=# \d acc_trans                               Table "public.acc_trans"    Column     |  Type   |
          Modifiers

----------------+---------+-------------------------------------------------------------trans_id       | integer |
chart_id      | integer | not nulltransdate      | date    | default date('now'::text)source         | text    |
cleared       | boolean | default falsefx_transaction | boolean | default falseproject_id     | integer | memo
| text    | invoice_id     | integer | amount         | numeric | entry_id       | bigint  | not null default
nextval('acctrans_entry_id_seq'::regclass)
Indexes:   "acc_trans_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (entry_id)   "acc_trans_chart_id_key" btree (chart_id)
"acc_trans_source_key"btree (lower(source))   "acc_trans_trans_id_key" btree (trans_id)   "acc_trans_transdate_key"
btree(transdate)

Foreign-key constraints:   "$1" FOREIGN KEY (chart_id) REFERENCES chart(id)   "$2" FOREIGN KEY (chart_id) REFERENCES
chart(id)  "$3" FOREIGN KEY (chart_id) REFERENCES chart(id)   "$4" FOREIGN KEY (chart_id) REFERENCES chart(id)
"acc_trans_chart_id_fkey"FOREIGN KEY (chart_id) REFERENCES chart(id)

You can query the schemas for all sorts of objects, complete with
tab-completion; type "\?" at the psql prompt to see all of the
internal psql commands.  There is a whole section entitled
"Informational" that shows modifiers to \d to query various sorts of
objects.

For instance:
\dt will list all tables
\ds will list all sequences
\dv will list all views
and there's a further cast of ~20 variants for various different sorts
of objects.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/postgresql.html

Re: Desc Commnad in pgsql?

From
TJ O'Donnell
Date:
I like the table and other info from psql
and find I sometimes need that info in my client programs.
Are there any SQL/plpgsql functions that are analogous
to the psql \dt, \ds, etc. commands?
For example
create function d_table(table_name text) returns setof record
that could be used in SQL commands in client programs?
I am not concerned whether these are compatible with other
RDBMS.

TJ O'Donnell
http://www.gnova.com

> If you're looking for ways to "describe" a table, there are two
> mechanisms:
>
>   1.  SQL standard (probably SQL:1993) describes an
>   "information_schema" which contains tables or views that allow
>   querying database metadata in a fairly standard fashion.
>
>   PostgreSQL supports that.
>
>   2.  Probably easier and friendlier, albeit nonportable, is to use
>   the psql "\d" command.
> > >>
>> For instance:
>> \dt will list all tables
>> \ds will list all sequences
>> \dv will list all views
>> and there's a further cast of ~20 variants for various different sorts
>> of objects.

Re: Desc Commnad in pgsql?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
TJ O'Donnell wrote:
> I like the table and other info from psql
> and find I sometimes need that info in my client programs.
> Are there any SQL/plpgsql functions that are analogous
> to the psql \dt, \ds, etc. commands?

If you start psql with the -E option it will show you the queries it
used to build the response tables.