Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
"Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe"
Date:
Hello

I have a db in MS Access 97 and now i have to import the data in PostgreSQL. I can create the table structure in PostgreSql but in what format can i export the table from Access so Postgresql can read it?

Thanks

Shavonne

Re: Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a db in MS Access 97 and now i have to import the data in
> PostgreSQL. I can create the table structure in PostgreSql but in
> what format can i export the table from Access so Postgresql can read
> it?

csv would be the most common and easiest.

Basically any structured text file can be used as you have the option of
specifying what characters are used to separate fields etc when you
import to postgresql.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
Shawn
Date:
On Wednesday 26 March 2008 11:46:43 Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a db in MS Access 97 and now i have to import the data in
> PostgreSQL. I can create the table structure in PostgreSql but in what
> format can i export the table from Access so Postgresql can read it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Shavonne

Hello Shavonne,

I'm no expert but I have often used either the tab or comma delimited format.
It requires that the fields in the PostgreSQL table are in the same order as
the original and that the data types are formatted similarly, but it has
worked for me.  Also a sed and awk'ing of the results can clean up alot of
formatting issues.

example, one of my fields is in the timestamp with time zone format but MS-SQL
doesn't differentiate Time Zones, at least not in the database I'm pulling
from.  I use this line to add the UTC to the field " sed 's/\t/ UTC\t/1'".

Shawn

Re: Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
"Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe"
Date:
Thanks. I tried the following command

COPY REGIONI FROM
'C:/Inetpub/wwwroot2/FORMWebSite1/database/FormAjax/REGIONI.copy' WITH
DELIMITER '\t';

But i get this error

ERROR:  relation "regioni" does not exist

Here is a sample of my file (fields seperated with a tab)

13600770000,00 848351,00 2,00 2,00 4,00 "Trentino-alto adige"
18424000000,00 1132202,00 3,00 3,00 5,00 "Veneto"
7859928000,00 746082,90 4,00 4,00 6,00 "Friuli-venezia giulia"

What can the problem be?

Shavonne

Re: Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Date:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:03:57 +0100
"Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe" <shavonne.marietta@studioform.it>
wrote:

> Thanks. I tried the following command
>
> COPY REGIONI FROM
> 'C:/Inetpub/wwwroot2/FORMWebSite1/database/FormAjax/REGIONI.copy'
> WITH DELIMITER '\t';
>
> But i get this error
>
> ERROR:  relation "regioni" does not exist

You've to create the REGIONI table.
You may (or may not) get into trouble with locale. I noticed you're
using , as a decimal separator.
So if you're still encountering problems... that could be the second
thing to look at.

http://www.webthatworks.it

Re: Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
"Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe"
Date:
Strange coz i created the table. Why doesn't it seem to find it??

CREATE TABLE "REGIONI"
( "AREA" int4, "PERIMETER" int4, "REGIONI_" int4, "REGIONI_ID" int4, "COD_REG" int4, "REGIONE" text
)
WITHOUT OIDS;

Re: Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
"Marcin Stępnicki"
Date:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe
<shavonne.marietta@studioform.it> wrote:

> COPY REGIONI FROM
(...)
> Strange coz i created the table. Why doesn't it seem to find it??
>
>  CREATE TABLE "REGIONI"

You need to quote the name in your COPY command as well.

Re: Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
"Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe"
Date:
Thanks.. So it was a uppercase problem ;)

Shavonne.

Re: Export Access 97 to PostgreSQL

From
Roberto Spier
Date:
Shavonne Marietta Wijesinghe escreveu:
> Hello
>
> I have a db in MS Access 97 and now i have to import the data in
> PostgreSQL. I can create the table structure in PostgreSql but in what
> format can i export the table from Access so Postgresql can read it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Shavonne
Export the data, instead! You'd connect (link) to the postgreSQL
database from within access mdb, then run an acc's INSERT INTO  query.

hth

--  Spier