how to use pgsql like mssql

From
liuzg2@21cn.com
Date:

Re: how to use pgsql like mssql

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
--- On Wed, 12/26/07, liuzg2@21cn.com <liuzg2@21cn.com> wrote:

> in the pgadmin edit
> i want use
> declare  ...
> if exists ...
> insert something if @@rowcout>0 then do something
> if ....
> like in mssql and not use function

I take it that you are looking to create stored procedures?  In postgresql they are called "stored functions" or more
correctly"functions."

First you will need to load a procedural language into your database if one isn't already installed.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-createlanguage.html

You should probably use PLpgSQL since it is available across OS all platforms and is easy to learn and use.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/plpgsql.html

There are some nice examples in this documentation.

Your PGadmin will also have features to help the create these functions also.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Date:

Date:
--- On Wed, 12/26/07, liuzg2@21cn.com <liuzg2@21cn.com> wrote:

> but  i do not   want use function  or  procedure

Are you sure?  I thought that:

DECLARE
IF --control structures
@@rowcount

where only usable in a store procedure.  Am I incorrect, or are these keywords accessible from the SQL prompt?

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: how to use pgsql like mssql

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
On 27/12/2007, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Wed, 12/26/07, liuzg2@21cn.com <liuzg2@21cn.com> wrote:
>
> > but  i do not   want use function  or  procedure
>

> Are you sure?  I thought that:
>
> DECLARE
> IF --control structures
> @@rowcount
>
> where only usable in a store procedure.  Am I incorrect, or are these keywords accessible from the SQL prompt?

You can use outside procedure in T-SQL.

Pavel

> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: how to use pgsql like mssql

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
Hello

On 27/12/2007, liuzg2@21cn.com <liuzg2@21cn.com> wrote:

> but  i do not   want use function  or  procedure
>
> wish this features

PostgreSQL doesn't support this feature. You can use procedural
construct only in functions.

Regards
Pavel Stehule