log file permissions?

From
Gerardo Herzig
Date:
Hi dudes. I have my pg log file rotation configured so i have a
psql_`today`.log. The thing is, can i configure postgres so the file
permissions (today is 600) could by 640, so developers could login and
tailf the logfile (without using the postgres superuser, course)?

Thanks!

Gerardo

Re: log file permissions?

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
Gerardo Herzig wrote:
> Hi dudes. I have my pg log file rotation configured so i have a
> psql_`today`.log. The thing is, can i configure postgres so the file
> permissions (today is 600) could by 640, so developers could login and
> tailf the logfile (without using the postgres superuser, course)?

This really belongs over in admin.

Are you logging through syslog or stdout (ie. what are the following
settings in postgresql.conf and are they in any way overridden by your
startup scripts)?:
syslog =
syslog_facility =
syslog_ident =

If your are logging through syslog, then postgres has no control over
those permissions. You will have to look at your syslog daemon
configuration.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: log file permissions?

Date:
Gerardo Herzig <gherzig@fmed.uba.ar> writes:
> Hi dudes. I have my pg log file rotation configured so i have a
> psql_`today`.log. The thing is, can i configure postgres so the file
> permissions (today is 600) could by 640, so developers could login and
> tailf the logfile (without using the postgres superuser, course)?

You'd have to change the code --- the syslogger process inherits umask
077 from the postmaster.
        regards, tom lane