Function returning SETOF using plpythonu

From
Luís Sousa
Date:
Hi,

Is it possible to return rows from a function written in plpythonu using
SETOF?

Example:
CREATE FUNCTION "test_python_setof"()
RETURNS SETOF text AS '   records=plpy.execute("SELECT name FROM interface");   return records
' LANGUAGE 'plpythonu';

With this code is returning the object from the execution:
<PLyResult object at 0xb703e458>

Best regards,
Luís Sousa

Re: Function returning SETOF using plpythonu

From
Marcin Stępnicki
Date:
Dnia Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:24:52 +0000, Luís Sousa napisał(a):

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to return rows from a function written in plpythonu using
> SETOF?
>
> Example:
> CREATE FUNCTION "test_python_setof"()
> RETURNS SETOF text AS '
>     records=plpy.execute("SELECT name FROM interface");
>     return records
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpythonu';
>
> With this code is returning the object from the execution:
> <PLyResult object at 0xb703e458>

plpy.execute returns dictionary, and you need a list. You may try this:

CREATE FUNCTION "test_python_setof"()
RETURNS SETOF text AS '   records=plpy.execute("SELECT name FROM interface");   return  [ (r["name"]) for r in
records]
' LANGUAGE 'plpythonu';

--
`---*  JID: Aragorn_Vime@jabber.org *---' http://www.naszedzieci.org

Re: Function returning SETOF using plpythonu

From
Luís Sousa
Thanks :-)
That worked fine.

>plpy.execute returns dictionary, and you need a list. You may try this:
>
>CREATE FUNCTION "test_python_setof"()
>RETURNS SETOF text AS '
>    records=plpy.execute("SELECT name FROM interface");
>    return  [ (r["name"]) for r in records]
>' LANGUAGE 'plpythonu';

Then I tried to do some changes and try to return a SETOF type:
CREATE TYPE "test_python_t" AS (   name varchar(50)
);

CREATE FUNCTION "test_python_setof"()
RETURNS SETOF test_python_t AS '   records=plpy.execute("SELECT name FROM interface");   return  [ (r["name"]) for r in
records]
' LANGUAGE 'plpythonu';

And I'm getting ERROR:  tuple return types are not supported yet.

On my production database server I'm using PostgreSQL 7.4 and using
language plpgsql I'm returning some SETOF type without problems.
Is this a feature that's missing on this version or I'm I doing
something wrong on code? If is a feature missing, is already implemented
on some version afterwards?

Best regards,
Luís Sousa

Re: Function returning SETOF using plpythonu

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Monday 29 January 2007 6:12 am, Luís Sousa wrote:
> Thanks :-)
> That worked fine.
>
> >plpy.execute returns dictionary, and you need a list. You may try this:
> >
> >CREATE FUNCTION "test_python_setof"()
> >RETURNS SETOF text AS '
> >    records=plpy.execute("SELECT name FROM interface");
> >    return  [ (r["name"]) for r in records]
> >' LANGUAGE 'plpythonu';
>
> Then I tried to do some changes and try to return a SETOF type:
> CREATE TYPE "test_python_t" AS (
>     name varchar(50)
> );
>
> CREATE FUNCTION "test_python_setof"()
> RETURNS SETOF test_python_t AS '
>     records=plpy.execute("SELECT name FROM interface");
>     return  [ (r["name"]) for r in records]
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpythonu';
>
> And I'm getting ERROR:  tuple return types are not supported yet.
>
> On my production database server I'm using PostgreSQL 7.4 and using
> language plpgsql I'm returning some SETOF type without problems.
> Is this a feature that's missing on this version or I'm I doing
> something wrong on code? If is a feature missing, is already implemented
> on some version afterwards?
>
> Best regards,
> Luís Sousa

SETOF in pl/pythonu appeared in 8.2