Joins involving functions

From
Jeff Boes
Date:
I have a function that returns a row from a table, e.g.:

create table foo (a integer);

create function f_foo (integer) returns foo language 'sql'
as $foo$ select * from foo where a = $1 limit 1
$foo$

create table bar (b integer);

select * from bar
cross join f_foo(bar.b) as foo;

Unfortunately, this last statement returns an error:

NOTICE:  adding missing FROM-clause entry for table "bar"
ERROR:  function expression in FROM may not refer to other relations of
same query level

Is there a method for joining function calls to tables? The only other
approach I can think of is to write another function that returns "setof".

--
Jeffery Boes  <><
jeff@endpoint.com

Re: Joins involving functions

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Jeff Boes,

Jeff Boes wrote:

> select * from bar
> cross join f_foo(bar.b) as foo;
>
> Unfortunately, this last statement returns an error:
>
> NOTICE:  adding missing FROM-clause entry for table "bar"
> ERROR:  function expression in FROM may not refer to other relations of
> same query level
>
> Is there a method for joining function calls to tables? The only other
> approach I can think of is to write another function that returns "setof".

I don't exactly know what you want to achieve, so I'm just wildly guessing.

Do you really want the cross join between bar.* and f_foo(bar.b)?

If yes, use

SELECT x.b, y.b FROM bar x CROSS JOIN bar y;

If not, you maybe want

SELECT b, f_foo(b) FROM bar;

Or it may be you want something like:

SELECT * from bar CROSS JOIN (SELECT f_foo(bar.b) from bar) as foo ;

HTH,
Markus