COPY tablename FROM and null values

From
ivan marchesini
Date:
Dear users,
I'm working on a Postgres 7.4 server

I have a .txt file, containing some tabular data, where data are
delimited by TABs.
there are 3 columns:

column1 int4, column2 float8, column3 float8

the problem is that column3 contains also null values (i.e. sometimes is
empty)

so when I try to use COPY tablename FROM 'filename.txt' I obtain an
error

I have tried also using " WITH NULL AS ' ' " but without good results...

can someone explain me how to solve this problem???

thank you very much

Ivan

--
Ivan Marchesini
University of Perugia

Re: COPY tablename FROM and null values

From
Achilleus Mantzios
Date:
O ivan marchesini έγραψε στις Mar 22, 2006 :

> Dear users,
> I'm working on a Postgres 7.4 server
>
> I have a .txt file, containing some tabular data, where data are
> delimited by TABs.
> there are 3 columns:
>
> column1 int4, column2 float8, column3 float8
>
> the problem is that column3 contains also null values (i.e. sometimes is
> empty)
>
> so when I try to use COPY tablename FROM 'filename.txt' I obtain an
> error
>
> I have tried also using " WITH NULL AS ' ' " but without good results...
>
> can someone explain me how to solve this problem???

batch edit your file (with sed,awk,perl,C,java,...) and build your
explicit INSERT statements in some version of your file.

--
-Achilleus

Re: COPY tablename FROM and null values

From
Luckys

On 3/22/06, Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
O ivan marchesini έγραψε στις Mar 22, 2006 :

> Dear users,
> I'm working on a Postgres 7.4 server
>
> I have a .txt file, containing some tabular data, where data are
> delimited by TABs.
> there are 3 columns:
>
> column1 int4, column2 float8, column3 float8
>
> the problem is that column3 contains also null values ( i.e. sometimes is
> empty)
>
> so when I try to use COPY tablename FROM 'filename.txt' I obtain an
> error
>
> I have tried also using " WITH NULL AS ' ' " but without good results...
>
> can someone explain me how to solve this problem???

batch edit your file (with sed,awk,perl,C,java,...) and build your
explicit INSERT statements in some version of your file.

or Replace the empty spaces in the file with some other value (0.0)

--
-Achilleus

Re: COPY tablename FROM and null values

From
JSP
Date:
yup... Replace the empty spaces in the file with some other value...

replace null values with \N

then try COPYing again

--
-Achilleus

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat." --- Lily Tomlin

Re: COPY tablename FROM and null values

Date:
ivan marchesini <marchesini@unipg.it> writes:
> I have a .txt file, containing some tabular data, where data are
> delimited by TABs.
> there are 3 columns:
> column1 int4, column2 float8, column3 float8
> the problem is that column3 contains also null values (i.e. sometimes is
> empty)

This should work, unless the file is set up so that the second TAB is
missing when column3 is "empty".  If so, you'll need to fix that.
COPY is going to complain if there aren't exactly two TABs on every
line.
        regards, tom lane