regarding debugging?

From
AKHILESH GUPTA
Date:
hi all,
i have a query regarding debbuging in PGSQL.
just like there is  a debugger in C/C++, where we can check the execution of our program or we can dry run our code, is there aby option or feature with PGSQL for the same purpose that we can check our PGSQL statements?
thanks in advance................................................!!
(waiting for your response)

--
Thanks & Regards,
Akhilesh

"FAILURES CAN BE FORGIVEN BUT AIMING LOW IS A CRIME"

Re: regarding debugging?

From
"BigSmoke"
Date:
Checking how your PgSQL statements are executed, can be done using
EXPLAIN [1].

EXPLAIN ANALYZE will also execute (but not dry-run!) your statement.

I work with a seperate development and production database. Once the
changes to the schema in the development DB are done, I commit them to
the production DB using ActiveRecord migrations. You could do the same
with an advanced schema diff tool such as pgdiff [2] or zongle [3].
 - Rowan

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-explain.html
[2] http://pgdiff.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://zongle.sourceforge.net/