select and as doubt

From
Alexandre Gonçalves Jacarandá
Date:
Hello folks!!!
I've a question that could be very strange:
It's possible to make an SELECT inside an AS clause ?

ex.:
select student_id, subject_name_id, grade as (select subject_name from
subject_names) from grades;

The wy is that i've a table with subject names and another with name_id
and grades like:
Table subject_names ( id, subject_name);
Table students ( id, name);
Table grades ( student_id, subject_name_id, grade)

My goal is display an report that have this layout:

Name    | Math | Bio |  English
Joe Doe | 10   | 8   |  6
Mary    | 8    | 6   |  5

I try to make this with crosstab, but I need that columns with suject
grades are displayed automaticlly

Thanks.

--
__________________________
Alguns caminham pelo arco,

Alexandre Gonçalves Jacarandá
Assessor de Tecnologia de Informação
Tel.: 0 ** 21 8131-2313

http://br.yahoo.com/homepageset.html

Re: select and as doubt

Date:
Alexandre Gonçalves Jacarandá <clark_vr@yahoo.com.br> writes:
> It's possible to make an SELECT inside an AS clause ?

No.  You could try building the query as a string.
        regards, tom lane

Re: select and as doubt

From
Alexandre Gonçalves Jacarandá
Date:
Thanks for reply Tom, but which docs should I read for that ?

Tom Lane escreveu:
> Alexandre Gonçalves Jacarandá <clark_vr@yahoo.com.br> writes:
>
>>It's possible to make an SELECT inside an AS clause ?
>

> No.  You could try building the query as a string.
>
>             regards, tom lane

__________________________
Alguns caminham pelo arco,
eu caminho pela reta.

Alexandre Gonçalves Jacarandá
Assessor de Tecnologia de Informação
Tel.: 0 ** 21 8131-2313

http://br.yahoo.com/homepageset.html

Re: select and as doubt

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 12:59:48 -0200, Alexandre Gonçalves Jacarandá <clark_vr@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Thanks for reply Tom, but which docs should I read for that ?

The documentation for whatever ever programming language you will be using
to generate the queries.