SQL CASE Statements

From
"Lane Van Ingen"
Date:
In the following CASE statement, is it possible to put a SELECT ... WHERE
EXISTS
in the <condition> of a CASE statement, and have it work?

The <condition> I want to do is to yield a result of '1' if the statement
finds
the value 'a' in a table (EXISTS evaluates true), and '0' if it evaluates
false
('a' not found).

SELECT a, CASE WHEN <CONDITION> THEN 1      ELSE 0 END

Has anybody done this? If so, can you send me a sample?

Re: SQL CASE Statements

From
"Dmitri Bichko"
Date:
I am not sure what you are asking...

SELECT CASE WHEN EXISTS (SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE baz = 'a') THEN 1
ELSE 0 END;

Or

SELECT CASE WHEN 'a' = ANY (SELECT froo FROM bar) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END;

Both work, but that's pretty much what you had already - am I missing
what you are trying to achieve?

Though both are likely to be quite inefficient if you are looking up
many values.

Maybe something like:

SELECT f.a, CASE WHEN b.a IS NOT NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
FROM foo f LEFT JOIN bar b USING (a)

Assuming "foo" has the values you want to look up, and "bar" is the
table you check for existence.

Dmitri

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidentialand/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
actionin reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
receivedthis in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer

Re: SQL CASE Statements

From
Halley Pacheco de Oliveira
Date:
> Has anybody done this? If so, can you send me a sample?

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE fruits (id SERIAL, name TEXT);
INSERT INTO fruits VALUES (DEFAULT, 'banana');
INSERT INTO fruits VALUES (DEFAULT, 'apple');
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE food (id SERIAL, name TEXT);
INSERT INTO food VALUES (DEFAULT, 'apple');
INSERT INTO food VALUES (DEFAULT, 'spinach');
SELECT name, CASE WHEN name = ANY (SELECT name FROM fruits)                 THEN 'yes'                 ELSE 'no'
   END AS fruit

FROM food;
 name   | fruit
---------+-------apple   | yesspinach | no
(2 lines)

http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/

Re: SQL CASE Statements

From
"Lane Van Ingen"
Date:
Halley, here is a sample for you that might help; the purpose of this
function was to set an indicator of '1' or '0' (true or false) on a router
interface if the router interface ID was the same as the default gateway for
the Router node ID:

create view current_default_gateways_v (router_id, default_gateway) AS select router_id,   case     when router_id in
(selectinterface_id from router_interface ri,

network_nodes nn                    where ri.node_id = nn.node_id                    and ri.interface_id =
nn.default_gateway_interface_id)
then 1     else 0   end as if_default_gateway from router_interface;

TABLES USED:
network_nodes: node_id, serial node_name, varchar default_gateway_interface_id, integer

router_interfaces: interface_id,  serial  (integer) node_id  (FK)

> Has anybody done this? If so, can you send me a sample?

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE fruits (id SERIAL, name TEXT);
INSERT INTO fruits VALUES (DEFAULT, 'banana');
INSERT INTO fruits VALUES (DEFAULT, 'apple');
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE food (id SERIAL, name TEXT);
INSERT INTO food VALUES (DEFAULT, 'apple');
INSERT INTO food VALUES (DEFAULT, 'spinach');
SELECT name, CASE WHEN name = ANY (SELECT name FROM fruits)                 THEN 'yes'                 ELSE 'no'
   END AS fruit

FROM food;
 name   | fruit
---------+-------apple   | yesspinach | no
(2 lines)

http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/

Re: SQL CASE Statements

From
Halley Pacheco de Oliveira
Date:
Dear Lane, is that what you want?

CREATE TABLE network_nodes (   node_id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,    node_name VARCHAR,   default_gateway_interface_id
INTEGER
);

CREATE TABLE router_interfaces (   interface_id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,   node_id INT REFERENCES network_nodes
);

CREATE VIEW current_default_gateways_v (router_id, default_gateway) AS   SELECT interface_id,          CASE WHEN
interface_idIN               (SELECT interface_id                FROM router_interfaces ri, network_nodes nn
   WHERE ri.node_id = nn.node_id                  AND ri.interface_id = nn.default_gateway_interface_id)          THEN
1         ELSE 0          END AS if_default_gateway   FROM router_interfaces;

INSERT INTO network_nodes VALUES(DEFAULT, 'node1',1);
INSERT INTO network_nodes VALUES(DEFAULT, 'node2',2);
INSERT INTO network_nodes VALUES(DEFAULT, 'node3',3);
INSERT INTO network_nodes VALUES(DEFAULT, 'node4',4);
INSERT INTO router_interfaces VALUES(DEFAULT,1);
INSERT INTO router_interfaces VALUES(DEFAULT,2);
INSERT INTO router_interfaces VALUES(DEFAULT,2);
INSERT INTO router_interfaces VALUES(DEFAULT,1);
SELECT * FROM network_nodes;
SELECT * FROM router_interfaces;
SELECT * FROM current_default_gateways_v;

teste=> SELECT * FROM network_nodes;node_id | node_name | default_gateway_interface_id
---------+-----------+------------------------------      1 | node1     |                            1      2 | node2
 |                            2      3 | node3     |                            3      4 | node4     |
         4

(4 rows)

teste=> SELECT * FROM router_interfaces;interface_id | node_id
(4 rows)

teste=> SELECT * FROM current_default_gateways_v;router_id | default_gateway
|              0

(4 rows)