dates and selection

From
"Joel Fradkin"

After my conversion to Unicode and implementing new drivers (Thank god still up no down time J) I do have an issue with some of my sql selects concerning dates.

I know the long answer, but am asking if there is a short one.

I have in some of my slq :

(to_char(e.incidentdate, 'Mon DD YYYY'::text) || ' '::text) || e.incidenttime::text  as incidentdate

I used to be able to sort and select by incident date and it was working ok (I think).

Now I found I had to do something like this just to have a timestamp (problem is I do not want the format of the time stamp, my clients want to see the month as a string)

((to_char(e.incidentdate, 'Mon DD YYYY'::text) || ' '::text) || e.incidenttime::text)::timestamp  as datetoselectby

Is there any way to reference the text type variable as a date selection? (was this ever working or was I hallucinating).

Many thanks for all the help.

Joel Fradkin

Re: dates and selection

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Joel,

> Now I found I had to do something like this just to have a timestamp
> (problem is I do not want the format of the time stamp, my clients want to
> see the month as a string)

Um, what's wrong with:

to_char(some_timestamp, 'Mon DD YYYY HH:MI:SS')

?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions