echo/printf function in plpgsql

From
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Date:
Hi all!

Is there a way of echo'ing a string(like "raise notice 'this is id%', id")
from plpgsql? I want to echo/print it to STDOUT 'cause the notice-mechanism
produces too much noise IMH.

--
Andreas

Re: echo/printf function in plpgsql

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Is there a way of echo'ing a string(like "raise notice 'this is id%', id")
> from plpgsql? I want to echo/print it to STDOUT 'cause the notice-mechanism
> produces too much noise IMH.

Your function is running in the backend. You don't have a STDOUT
(although you might have redirected STDERR for logging).

--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Date:
On Tuesday 19 July 2005 17:18, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Is there a way of echo'ing a string(like "raise notice 'this is id%',
> > id") from plpgsql? I want to echo/print it to STDOUT 'cause the
> > notice-mechanism produces too much noise IMH.
>
> Your function is running in the backend. You don't have a STDOUT
> (although you might have redirected STDERR for logging).

I see. Can I make the ouput somehow less verbose? It spits out a lot of noise
for each "NOTICE":
====================
psql:ocs_process_projecct.sql:48: NOTICE:  trying to insert parent_id: 87,
child_id: 91
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT  processSubProject( $1 ,  $2 ,  $3 )"
PL/pgSQL function "processsubproject" line 7 at perform
SQL statement "SELECT  processSubProject( $1 ,  $2 ,  $3 )"
PL/pgSQL function "processsubproject" line 7 at perform
SQL statement "SELECT  processSubProject( $1 ,  $2 ,  $3 )"
PL/pgSQL function "build_project_children" line 11 at perform
====================

--
AJk

Re: echo/printf function in plpgsql

From
Tony Wasson
Date:
On 7/19/05, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 July 2005 17:18, Richard Huxton wrote:
> > Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > Is there a way of echo'ing a string(like "raise notice 'this is id%',
> > > id") from plpgsql? I want to echo/print it to STDOUT 'cause the
> > > notice-mechanism produces too much noise IMH.
> >
> > Your function is running in the backend. You don't have a STDOUT
> > (although you might have redirected STDERR for logging).
>
> I see. Can I make the ouput somehow less verbose? It spits out a lot of noise
> for each "NOTICE":

You can control the severity messages sent to your client by first
setting client_min_message.

Try SET client_min_messages = WARNING;

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/runtime-config.html

Tony

Date:
On Tuesday 19 July 2005 22:09, Tony Wasson wrote:
> On 7/19/05, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no> wrote:

> > > Your function is running in the backend. You don't have a STDOUT
> > > (although you might have redirected STDERR for logging).
> >
> > I see. Can I make the ouput somehow less verbose? It spits out a lot of
> > noise for each "NOTICE":
>
> You can control the severity messages sent to your client by first
> setting client_min_message.
>
> Try SET client_min_messages = WARNING;

Thanks

--
AJK

Re: echo/printf function in plpgsql

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Jul 19, 2005, at 11:58 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:

> I see. Can I make the ouput somehow less verbose? It spits out a
> lot of noise
> for each "NOTICE":

If you just want to output some information to the log, you can use
something like this:

raise log 't is %', t;

If I recall correctly, the values to be inserted into the format
string can only be variables, not expressions.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Date:
On Wednesday 20 July 2005 01:39, John DeSoi wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2005, at 11:58 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> > I see. Can I make the ouput somehow less verbose? It spits out a
> > lot of noise
> > for each "NOTICE":
>
> If you just want to output some information to the log, you can use
> something like this:
>
> raise log 't is %', t;
>
> If I recall correctly, the values to be inserted into the format
> string can only be variables, not expressions.

Thanks!

--
AJK