Migrated Oracle database to PostgreSQL ??

From
"Dinesh Pandey"
Date:
 Hi there,

Has anyone migrated Oracle database to PostgreSQL? If yes, could you please help me -

1. How to migrate Procedures and Packages from Oracle to PostgreSQL????

2. How to find error messages in PostgreSQL thrown from an Exception (as we can get messages in Oracle with "SQLERRM" keyword)
    for example --

--Raise an exception
    RAISE EXCEPTION 'No Data found for record id % ' ,recordid

--Insert exception messages into database
    EXCEPTION
        IF RAISE_EXCEPTION THEN
--            my_insert_function(SQLERRM);

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Dinesh Pandey

Re: Migrated Oracle database to PostgreSQL ??

From
Yasir Malik
Date:
> 1. How to migrate Procedures and Packages from Oracle to PostgreSQL????
>

> 2. How to find error messages in PostgreSQL thrown from an Exception (as we
> can get messages in Oracle with "SQLERRM" keyword)
>    for example --
>
> --Raise an exception
>    RAISE EXCEPTION 'No Data found for record id % ' ,recordid
>
> --Insert exception messages into database
>    EXCEPTION
>        IF RAISE_EXCEPTION THEN
> --            my_insert_function(SQLERRM);

All your answers can be found here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/plpgsql.html

I can't say if PL/pgSQL is as good as PL/SQL, though.

Yasir

Re: Migrated Oracle database to PostgreSQL ??

From
"Dinesh Pandey"
Date:
Yes, but after creating some function, we can get sql error messages. But I
not comfortable that much in that.

For Procedures and Packages we can use Functions....

Any other option in pl/PGSQL????

Thanks
Dinesh Pandey

> 1. How to migrate Procedures and Packages from Oracle to PostgreSQL????
>

> 2. How to find error messages in PostgreSQL thrown from an Exception
> (as we can get messages in Oracle with "SQLERRM" keyword)
>    for example --
>
> --Raise an exception
>    RAISE EXCEPTION 'No Data found for record id % ' ,recordid
>
> --Insert exception messages into database
>    EXCEPTION
>        IF RAISE_EXCEPTION THEN
> --            my_insert_function(SQLERRM);

All your answers can be found here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/plpgsql.html

I can't say if PL/pgSQL is as good as PL/SQL, though.

Yasir

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend