private table

From
Din Adrian
Date:
Hello,
I am want to use a private table in postgresql(every client to see his own
data).
Is this possible? How can I do it!

Thank you,
Adrian Din

Re: [despammed] private table

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
am  26.01.2005, um 10:13:52 +0200 mailte Din Adrian folgendes:
> Hello,
> I am want to use a private table in postgresql(every client to see his own
> data).
> Is this possible? How can I do it!

Why?

You can create different users and/or different databases.

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47212,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

Re: private table

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Din Adrian wrote:
> Hello,
> I am want to use a private table in postgresql(every client to see his
> own  data).
> Is this possible? How can I do it!

If I understand what you want, then this is traditionally done using views.

CREATE TABLE base_table (  a integer NOT NULL,  b text,  u name,  PRIMARY KEY (a)
);

CREATE VIEW my_rows AS  SELECT a,b FROM base_table WHERE u = CURRENT_USER;

Add rules so that updating my_rows updates base_table instead. Then,
revoke access on base_table (apart from your super-user) but grant it on
my_rows.

As far as a user is concerned "my_rows" just contains their rows and if
they log in as a different user they will see different data.
--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd