Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1155072, 03600).

From
Andrew M
Date:
Hi,
when building postgreSQL 8 I get the following error message:

DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1155072, 03600).
HINT:  This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space. To reduce the
request size (currently 1155072 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's
shared_buffers parameter (currently 50) and/or its max_connections
parameter (currently 10)

What is the best way to resolve this? max_connections = 10? Does that
figure auto increase as more users request data?

regards

Andrew

Re: Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1155072, 03600).

From
Achilleus Mantzios
Date:
O Andrew M έγραψε στις Dec 3, 2004 :

> Hi,
> when building postgreSQL 8 I get the following error message:
>
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1155072, 03600).
> HINT:  This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
> memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space. To reduce the
> request size (currently 1155072 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's
> shared_buffers parameter (currently 50) and/or its max_connections
> parameter (currently 10)
>
> What is the best way to resolve this? max_connections = 10? Does that
> figure auto increase as more users request data?
>
> regards
>
> Andrew

This has been addressed many times, and for many OS's
(*Linux, *BSD, etc...).
Check the archives.

-Achilleus

Re: Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1155072, 03600).

From
Andrew Sullivan
On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 09:00:53AM +0000, Andrew M wrote:
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1155072, 03600).
> HINT:  This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
> memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space. To reduce the
> request size (currently 1155072 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's
> shared_buffers parameter (currently 50) and/or its max_connections
> parameter (currently 10)
>
> What is the best way to resolve this? max_connections = 10? Does that
> figure auto increase as more users request data?

What are you trying to run this on?  It might be that you need to
alter your kernel settings.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.                --Brad Holland