order by problem

From
Simon Moses
Date:
dear sir,
when i run a query with order by customer_name i am
getting the following result(ex.).

AA
A B
AC

i want it to be

A B
AA
AB

how to achieve this.
thanks in advance.
-Simon Moses.

=====
**************************
Visit My Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/ks_moses
updated: 28 Sep 2004.
Simon Moses
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: order by problem

From
Tomasz Myrta
Date:
>dear sir,
>when i run a query with order by customer_name i am
>getting the following result(ex.).
>
>AA
>A B
>AC
>
>i want it to be
>
>A B
>AA
>AB

It's because of locales. Some special characteres are removed when
sorting using locales. I'm not sure, but probably only "C" locale will
give results you need.

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: order by problem

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Simon Moses wrote:
> dear sir,
> when i run a query with order by customer_name i am
> getting the following result(ex.).
>
> AA
> A B
> AC
>
> i want it to be
>
> A B
> AA
> AB

Sorting is down to your locale (the LC_xxx configuration settings). This
is set when you initdb your database. It looks to me like you want "C"
sorting, so dump your database, re-initdb with --locale=C and restore
the dump.

There's a whole chapter on localisation in the manuals. Make sure you
are clear on the difference between encoding and locale.
--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd