Recursive SETOF function

From
Richard Rowell
Date:
I'm trying to port some TSQL to PLPGSQL.  The DB has a table with a
recursive foreign key that represents a tree hierarchy.  I'm trying to
re-create a TSQL function that pulls out all the ancestors of a given
node in the hierarchy.

I'm rather new to PLSQL and I have several questions.

1.  In TSQL, I can assign a scalar to the result of query like so: SET @var1 = (SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE
bar.uid=@var2)

How would I do this in PLSQL?

2.  In TSQL the "result table" can be inserted into manually.  IE:

CREATE FUNCTION foo () RETURNS @ttable TABLE( uid INTEGER) AS BEGIN INSERT @ttable VALUES (1)RETURN
END

Is there a way to manually insert rows into the result table in PLSQL?

What follows is my TSQL function if that helps give context.

CREATE FUNCTION svp_getparentproviderids (@child_provider INTEGER)
RETURNS @provider_ids TABLE ( uid INTEGER )
AS
BEGIN   DECLARE @cid AS INTEGER   IF (SELECT count(*) FROM providers WHERE uid =@child_provider) > 0   BEGINSET @cid =
@child_providerWHILE@cid IS NOT NULLBEGIN    INSERT @provider_ids VALUES (@cid)    SET @cid = (SELECT parent_id FROM
providersWHERE uid=@cid)END   END   RETURN

END

--

Re: Recursive SETOF function

From
Mike Rylander
Date:
I'm feeling sausey today, so here is my (untested) attempt to
translate your function.  It's inline below, and you'll want to look
here http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/plpgsql.html for
more information.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:18:13 -0600, Richard Rowell
<richard@bowmansystems.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to port some TSQL to PLPGSQL.  The DB has a table with a
> recursive foreign key that represents a tree hierarchy.  I'm trying to
> re-create a TSQL function that pulls out all the ancestors of a given
> node in the hierarchy.
>
> I'm rather new to PLSQL and I have several questions.
>
> 1.  In TSQL, I can assign a scalar to the result of query like so:
>   SET @var1 = (SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE bar.uid=@var2)
>
> How would I do this in PLSQL?
>
> 2.  In TSQL the "result table" can be inserted into manually.  IE:
>
> CREATE FUNCTION foo () RETURNS @ttable TABLE( uid INTEGER) AS BEGIN
>         INSERT @ttable VALUES (1)
>         RETURN
> END
>
> Is there a way to manually insert rows into the result table in PLSQL?
>
> What follows is my TSQL function if that helps give context.
>
> CREATE FUNCTION svp_getparentproviderids (@child_provider INTEGER)
> RETURNS @provider_ids TABLE ( uid INTEGER )
> AS
> BEGIN
>     DECLARE @cid AS INTEGER
>     IF (SELECT count(*) FROM providers WHERE uid =@child_provider) > 0
>     BEGIN
>         SET @cid = @child_provider
>         WHILE @cid IS NOT NULL
>         BEGIN
>             INSERT @provider_ids VALUES (@cid)
>             SET @cid = (SELECT parent_id FROM providers WHERE uid=@cid)
>         END
>     END
>     RETURN
> END

-- This TYPE will get you a named column... easier to use SRFs with a
preexisting type.
CREATE TYPE svp_getparentproviderids_uid_type AS ( uid INTEGER );

CREATE FUNCTION svp_getparentproviderids (INTEGER)  RETURNS SETOF svp_getparentproviderids_uid_type  AS '
DECLARE child_provider ALIAS FOR $1; cid INTEGER;
BEGIN   SELECT count(*) FROM providers WHERE uid =@child_provider) > 0   LOOP       cid := child_provider       IF cid
ISNULL THEN         EXIT;       END IF;       RETURN NEXT cid;       SELECT INTO cid parent_id FROM providers WHERE
uid=@cid;  END LOOP;   RETURN

END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Hope that helps!

Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com
GPLS -- PINES Development
Database Developer

Re: Recursive SETOF function

From
Mike Rylander
Date:
Forgot one line.  See below

   SELECT * FROM providers WHERE uid =@child_provider) > 0   IF NOT FOUND       RETURN;   END IF;

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com

Re: Recursive SETOF function

From
Richard Rowell
Date:
I have been fiddling with what you sent.  I have it working mostly, save
for I keep getting syntax errors on the "RETURN NEXT cid;" line.  If I
remove this line then the function works ( but returns nothing of
course).  Any ideas on why the RETURN NEXT doesn't like the variable as
a parameter?

sp_demo_505=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION svp_getparentproviderids
(INTEGER)  RETURNS SETOF svp_getparentproviderids_uid_type  AS '
DECLARE child_provider ALIAS FOR $1; cid INTEGER;
BEGIN   SELECT INTO cid count(*) FROM providers WHERE uid =child_provider;   IF cid = 0 THEN       RAISE EXCEPTION
''InexistentID --> %'', child_provider;       RETURN;   END IF;   cid := child_provider;   LOOP       EXIT WHEN cid IS
NULL;      RETURN NEXT cid;       SELECT INTO cid parent_id FROM providers WHERE uid=cid;   END LOOP;   RETURN;

END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
CREATE FUNCTION
sp_demo_505=# select * from svp_getparentproviderids(21112);
ERROR:  incorrect argument to RETURN NEXT at or near "cid"
CONTEXT:  compile of PL/pgSQL function "svp_getparentproviderids" near
line 13

Re: [postgres] Re: Recursive SETOF function

From
Mike Rylander
Date:
Sorry about that... try this:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION svp_getparentproviderids
(INTEGER) RETURNS SETOF svp_getparentproviderids_uid_type AS '
DECLAREchild_provider ALIAS FOR $1;cid svp_getparentproviderids_uid_type%ROWTYPE;tmp_cid INTEGER;
BEGIN  SELECT INTO tmp_cid count(*) FROM providers WHERE uid =child_provider;  IF tmp_cid = 0 THEN      RAISE EXCEPTION
''InexistentID --> %'', child_provider;      RETURN;  END IF;  cid.uid := child_provider;  LOOP      EXIT WHEN tmp_cid
ISNULL;      RETURN NEXT cid;      SELECT INTO tmp_cid parent_id FROM providers WHERE uid=cid.uid;  END LOOP;  RETURN;

END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:51:41 -0600, Richard Rowell

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com

Re: [postgres] Re: Recursive SETOF function

From
Richard Rowell
Date:
I had to fiddle a bit more, but I did finally get it to work.  Thanks
Mike

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION svp_getparentproviderids (INTEGER) RETURNS SETOF INTEGER AS '
DECLAREchild_provider ALIAS FOR $1;cid INTEGER;
BEGIN  SELECT INTO cid count(*) FROM providers WHERE uid =child_provider;  IF cid = 0 THEN      RAISE EXCEPTION
''InexistentID --> %'', child_provider;      RETURN;  END IF;  cid := child_provider;  LOOP      EXIT WHEN cid IS NULL;
    RAISE WARNING ''LOOP: Adding (%) to results'', cid;      RETURN NEXT cid;      SELECT INTO cid parent_id FROM

--

Re: Recursive SETOF function

From
Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud
Date:
>     SELECT INTO cid count(*) FROM providers WHERE uid =child_provider;
Hey, hey.Better :
SELECT blablah FROM providers WHERE uid = child_provider LIMIT 1;IF NOT FOUND THEN exit with error ELSE do your stuff
Why scan more than 1 row when you just need existence ?Or :
SELECT INTO cid parent_id FROM providers WHERE uid=cid;WHILE FOUND    RETURN NEXT cid;    SELECT INTO cid parent_id
FROMproviders WHERE uid=cid;END;

Not sure about the While syntax but you get the idea.

problem with postgres

From
"Luiz Rafael Culik Guimaraes"
Date:
Dear friends

I hope some one can help me

Server machine celeron 2.4Gb with 512 Ram
postgres 7.4.5
conectiva 8 with kernel 2.4.19

i´m getting many message ofErro:canceling query due to user request

how to solve this
i even get with an just booted up server, and running vacuum analyze verbose
inside psql with no other people connected

the only changes i has on postgresql.conf is
max_connection=512
shared_buffers=8192
sort_mem=8192
vacuum_mem=31792

Regards
Luiz Rafael

Re: problem with postgres

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:33:03PM -0200, Luiz Rafael Culik Guimaraes wrote:

> i´m getting many message of
> Erro:canceling query due to user request

What does the following query show?

SHOW statement_timeout;

If statement_timeout isn't 0 (zero) and if you didn't change it in
postgresql.conf, then maybe you're picking it up from a per-user
or per-database configuration.  You can check such settings with
the following queries:

SELECT usename, useconfig FROM pg_user;
SELECT datname, datconfig FROM pg_database;

You can use ALTER USER or ALTER DATABASE to change the settings.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/