Plperlu function & backticks return value -> truncated?

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hello,

I'm using the following show_users() function in order to retreive in
postgresql the output from the unix "ps" command.

When run directly from a shell, this code:
 $ps = `ps -afux | grep postgres`; @fields = split /\n/, $ps; return "{" . join(",", @fields) . "}";

... runs fine.

But when run inside a plperlu function, lines are being truncated after
a certain width.

Is that a known limitation of plperlu? Or maybe something else?

Philippe

--  TYPE: line_type
CREATE TYPE public.line_type AS
( line text
);

--  UTILITY FUNCTION: ps
CREATE FUNCTION public.ps() RETURNS text[] AS
' $ps = `ps -afux | grep postgres`; @fields = split /\n/, $ps; return "{" . join(",", @fields) . "}";
' LANGUAGE 'plperlu' VOLATILE;

--  UTILITY FUNCTION: show_users
CREATE FUNCTION public.show_users() RETURNS SETOF user_type AS
'
DECLARE users        text[]; user_rec     line_type%ROWTYPE; i            int2;

BEGIN users = ps();
 FOR i IN 1 .. array_upper(users, 1) LOOP
   user_rec.line = users[i];   RETURN NEXT user_rec;
 END LOOP;
 RETURN;
END
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

--  MAIN
select * from show_users();

Re: Plperlu function & backticks return value -> truncated?

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Philippe Lang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the following show_users() function in order to retreive in
> postgresql the output from the unix "ps" command.
>
> When run directly from a shell, this code:
>
>   $ps = `ps -afux | grep postgres`;
>   @fields = split /\n/, $ps;
>   return "{" . join(",", @fields) . "}";
>
> ... runs fine.
>
> But when run inside a plperlu function, lines are being truncated after
> a certain width.
>
> Is that a known limitation of plperlu? Or maybe something else?

Depends if user_type is just a typo...

> --  TYPE: line_type
> CREATE TYPE public.line_type AS
> (
>   line text
> );

> CREATE FUNCTION public.show_users()
>   RETURNS SETOF user_type AS

>   user_rec     line_type%ROWTYPE;

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Plperlu function & backticks return value -> truncated?

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hello,

Yes, I made a typo, sorry. I've been playing with different types this afternoon, that's why.
But "user_type" was also made up of a "text" field, just like "line_type", so the problem is still here...

> Is that a known limitation of plperlu? Or maybe something else?

Depends if user_type is just a typo...

Re: Plperlu function & backticks return value -> truncated?

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 05:07:05PM +0200, Philippe Lang wrote:

> When run directly from a shell, this code:
>
>   $ps = `ps -afux | grep postgres`;
>   @fields = split /\n/, $ps;
>   return "{" . join(",", @fields) . "}";
>
> ... runs fine.
>
> But when run inside a plperlu function, lines are being truncated after
> a certain width.

Many versions of ps truncate lines at a certain length if they can't
determine the terminal size.  Since you're running ps from inside
the backend, there's probably no terminal to check.  Check the ps
manual page to see if it supports an option like -w (or multiple
occurrences of -w) to increase the line length.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Plperlu function & backticks return value -> truncated?

From
"Philippe Lang"
Thanks! That's perfect... `ps -awfux | grep postgres` runs fine...