Kenneth Gonsalves
Date:
hi,
how does one get the next number in a serial type row?
--
regards
kg

http://www.onlineindianhotels.net - hotel bookings reservations in over 4600
hotels in India
http://www.ootygolfclub.org

Re: next integer in serial key

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 03:45, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> hi,
> how does one get the next number in a serial type row?

When inserting a new row, do not mention the serial column in the list
of columns, or else give it the value DEFAULT.

========================================   "Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said,      We ought to obey
Godrather than men."                                                Acts 5:29

Re: next integer in serial key

From
Date:
Actually it does work, call nextval to get your next value, then call your INSERT statement,
explicitly giving said value for the serial column.  Then you can proceed with using said value in
the INSERT statement of the related inserts with foreign keys to it.

Alternatively, you can do:
INSERT  (accepting the default)
then SELECT currval(the_sequence_object);
then <extra inserts of related foreign key records>

NOTE: 2nd method assumes that nobody else called nextval() on the sequence between when you did the
insert and when you did the select currval().  Note that being inside a transaction is NOT
sufficient, you need an explicit lock on the sequence.  I do not recommend the 2nd method, too much
can go wrong.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com