Customised Encoding

From
"kumar"
Date:
Dear Friends,

Postgres 7.3.2 Runing on Linux 7.2

I would like to convert any values in between 1 to 2^16 into a single charactor. And decode that single char to get back the numeric value again. Any function to do that in Postgres SQL Server.

Please shed some light.

Thanks
Kumar

Re: Customised Encoding

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Tuesday 27 April 2004 07:54, kumar wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> Postgres 7.3.2 Runing on Linux 7.2
>
> I would like to convert any values in between 1 to 2^16 into a single
> charactor. And decode that single char to get back the numeric value again.
> Any function to do that in Postgres SQL Server.

You could use unicode (e.g. UTF-8) encoding. I don't see what it gains you
though. What do you hope to achieve by storing numerical data as characters?

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: Customised Encoding

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Tuesday 27 April 2004 13:55, kumar wrote:
> Hi Richar,

Kumar - try to make sure you reply to the list.

> It didnt work for me.
>
> select encode('65536'::bytea,'UTF-8')
> ERROR:  Cannot cast type integer to bytea
>
> select encode('65536'::bytea,'UTF-8')
> ERROR:  No such encoding as 'UTF-8'

I think you're using the encode() function wrongly. The second parameter is
supposed to be something like "base64" or "hex". I'm not sure it makes sense
to try and cast an integer to a bytea either.

Can you say what you're trying to achieve here?

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: Customised Encoding

From
"kumar"
Date:
The idea is I wanna store any number from 1 to 2^16 in 2 strings only - This
is the requirement.
Since in Unicode a 16 bit is represented in a Single chararctor.
So i wanna convert any number into a 32 bit  and then convert each 16 bit
into one char and stored it in database.

So I wanna know how to convert any 16 bit to a single charactor.
Is there any function to do that in Postgres.

Thanks
Kumar