restoring database

From
Lucas Lain
Date:
Hi everybody ... i need to restore only one database from a pg_dumpall backup
file... how can i do it?

Thanks a lot !

Re: restoring database

From
Theodore Petrosky
Date:
As I am not someone with a lot of experience....
(depending on the size of the 'dumpall') I would
create a new database to suck up the 'all' then
pg_dump the table I really cared about.

Obviously, if the dump_all is a terabyte database this
method is inconvenient.... (to say the least).

However it will work.

Ted

--- Lucas Lain <lainl@aconectarse.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody ... i need to restore only one database
> from a pg_dumpall backup
> file... how can i do it?
>
> Thanks a lot !

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: restoring database

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Theodore Petrosky wrote:

> As I am not someone with a lot of experience....
> (depending on the size of the 'dumpall') I would
> create a new database to suck up the 'all' then
> pg_dump the table I really cared about.
>
> Obviously, if the dump_all is a terabyte database this
> method is inconvenient.... (to say the least).
>
> However it will work.

In the past I've used

'cat -n filename'|grep -4 database

to find the starting points of individual databases etc... and then used
split to break it into the exact right size pieces to do this.

Re: restoring database

From
Markus Bertheau
Date:
В Пнд, 22.12.2003, в 18:53, scott.marlowe пишет:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Theodore Petrosky wrote:
>
> > As I am not someone with a lot of experience....
> > (depending on the size of the 'dumpall') I would
> > create a new database to suck up the 'all' then
> > pg_dump the table I really cared about.
> >
> > Obviously, if the dump_all is a terabyte database this
> > method is inconvenient.... (to say the least).
> >
> > However it will work.
>
> In the past I've used
>
> 'cat -n filename'|grep -4 database
>
> to find the starting points of individual databases etc... and then used
> split to break it into the exact right size pieces to do this.

That sounds like something pg_dump / pg_dumpall should be able to do
itself, don't you think?

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de>