Postgres: MS Access and Tomcat

From
mohan@physics.gmu.edu
Date:
Hi All
I am using postgres database. Users of the DB include Web users thro tomcat
and internal user thr'o MS Access. The problem is the users of Access
sometimes do not close these connections and postgres fails saying too
many connections for the web users. Is there a way i can resolve this by
uncommenting the #Max_connections=32 in the postgresql.conf. What are the
effects of uncommenting this part in postgresql.conf. Do i need to make
any more changes when uncomment the Max_connections=32 in the
postgresql.conf file

Thank you very much

--Mohan

Re: Postgres: MS Access and Tomcat

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Wednesday 26 November 2003 16:20, mohan@physics.gmu.edu wrote:
> Hi All
> I am using postgres database. Users of the DB include Web users thro tomcat
> and internal user thr'o MS Access. The problem is the users of Access
> sometimes do not close these connections and postgres fails saying too
> many connections for the web users. Is there a way i can resolve this by
> uncommenting the #Max_connections=32 in the postgresql.conf. What are the
> effects of uncommenting this part in postgresql.conf. Do i need to make
> any more changes when uncomment the Max_connections=32 in the
> postgresql.conf file

You can set max_connections higher, and unless your shared-buffer settings are
very low that should be fine.

Where you may encounter problems is if the Access users have open transactions
which can end up blocking other clients. I seem to recall a timeout option in
the ODBC manager that should disconnect them after a certain time.
--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd