Re: [BUGS] session variable

From
sad
Date:
On Tuesday 02 September 2003 16:40, you wrote:

> No problem to use  a temp table in a trigger (which is local to the
> session), I do so myself. Still, session variables would be nice, making
> coding a little bit more comfortable.

(it would be very good if you implement session variables in PostgreSQL.)

The first problem using temp table is:

CREATE TABLE locals (name text, value text);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_locals_access() RETURNS text AS '
DECLARE i text;
BEGIN
SELECT value INTO i FROM locals WHERE name=''n1''
RETURN i;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

SELECT test_locals_access() ;

column
-------------
<null>

CREATE TEMP TABLE locals (name text, value text);
INSERT INTO locals VALUES ('n1','xxx');

SELECT test_locals_access() ;

column
-------------
<null>                   <=== the Function seing global table

SELECT value FROM locals WHERE name='n1';

value
---------
xxx

the second problem may be resolved with your advise.
look:

i want to log operations on the data in some tables.
so i declared sufficient triggers which write to the log-table.

and now i want to mark each log-record with the "operator_id"
(e.g. to log who made an update)

what possible ways are there ?

if i use temp table to inform the triggers about "operator_id"
then i have problems in manual updates of these tables
(temp table in my session needed too)

Re: [BUGS] session variable

From
Peter Eisentraut
sad writes:

> The first problem using temp table is:
>
> CREATE TABLE locals (name text, value text);
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_locals_access() RETURNS text AS '
> DECLARE i text;
> BEGIN
> SELECT value INTO i FROM locals WHERE name=''n1''
> RETURN i;
> END;
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>
> SELECT test_locals_access() ;
>
> column
> -------------
> <null>
>
> CREATE TEMP TABLE locals (name text, value text);
> INSERT INTO locals VALUES ('n1','xxx');
>
> SELECT test_locals_access() ;
>
> column
> -------------
> <null>                   <=== the Function seing global table

This is a problem in plpgsql, not in temporary tables.

> the second problem may be resolved with your advise.
> look:
>
> i want to log operations on the data in some tables.
> so i declared sufficient triggers which write to the log-table.
>
> and now i want to mark each log-record with the "operator_id"
> (e.g. to log who made an update)
>
> what possible ways are there ?
>
> if i use temp table to inform the triggers about "operator_id"
> then i have problems in manual updates of these tables
> (temp table in my session needed too)

Use session_user, or restrict permissions on the temporary table.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: [BUGS] session variable

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> sad writes:
>
> > The first problem using temp table is:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE locals (name text, value text);
> >
> > CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_locals_access() RETURNS text AS '
> > DECLARE i text;
> > BEGIN
> > SELECT value INTO i FROM locals WHERE name=''n1''
> > RETURN i;
> > END;
> > ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
> >
> > SELECT test_locals_access() ;
> >
> > column
> > -------------
> > <null>
> >
> > CREATE TEMP TABLE locals (name text, value text);
> > INSERT INTO locals VALUES ('n1','xxx');
> >
> > SELECT test_locals_access() ;
> >
> > column
> > -------------
> > <null>                   <=== the Function seing global table
>
> This is a problem in plpgsql, not in temporary tables.

Yes, see the FAQ.  You have to use EXECUTE for temp table access in
functions.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: [BUGS] session variable

From
miko@idocs.com (Miko O'Sullivan)
Date:
pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) wrote in message news:<200309032042.h83KgmJ24665@candle.pha.pa.us>...
> Yes, see the FAQ.  You have to use EXECUTE for temp table access in
> functions.

Unfortunately in the 7.2.x version I have available, EXECUTE does not
allow "select into".  The docs suggests a technique for using a FOR
loop to extract information from an EXECUTE, but the technique only
works for finite set of expected variables, not for arbitrary values.

Any suggestions on how to kludge this issue?  It would be of great
value to me if there were a way to set and retrieve just one global
variable that persists throughout a session, and which can be
retrieved from a function.

Re: [BUGS] session variable

Date:
miko@idocs.com (Miko O'Sullivan) writes:
> Unfortunately in the 7.2.x version I have available, EXECUTE does not
> allow "select into".  The docs suggests a technique for using a FOR
> loop to extract information from an EXECUTE, but the technique only
> works for finite set of expected variables, not for arbitrary values.

How do you figure that?  AFAICS "FOR" with a record variable as target
will cover any case that SELECT INTO could handle.
        regards, tom lane

Need more examples (was "session variable")

From
"Miko O Sullivan"
Date:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:23:05 -0400, Tom Lane wrote
> miko@idocs.com (Miko O'Sullivan) writes:
> > Unfortunately in the 7.2.x version I have available, EXECUTE does not
> > allow "select into".  The docs suggests a technique for using a FOR
> > loop to extract information from an EXECUTE, but the technique only
> > works for finite set of expected variables, not for arbitrary values.
>
> How do you figure that?  AFAICS "FOR" with a record variable as
> target will cover any case that SELECT INTO could handle.

Tom:  I don't "figure" it, it's just all I could get from documentation and
discussion that is rather sparse in concrete examples.  For example, this
thread includes two postings that indicate that session variables can be
done, and make references to commands, but fail to actually show how to do
them.  The documentation is the same way.  The one example for FOR loops is
confusing and overly broad.  It fail to step through the example code clearly
showing where a value from a temp table is extracted and stored in a variable.

I certainly don't mean to be critical, because PostGres is a fantastic
product.  However, we in the open source community need to learn that
software is only as good as its documentation.  Concrete examples are the
heart of good technical documentation.  I would go so far to say that any
technical documentation w/o simple concrete examples demonstrating each point
is at best a quarter as useful as it might be.

I guess I should live by my own words, so for concrete examples of concrete
examples, please see any of the pages in the Idocs Guide to HTML.  There are
links at http://www.idocs.com.

-Miko

Miko O'Sullivan
Programmer Analyst