Overwhelming DEBUG messages

From
"SZŰCS Gábor"
Date:
I know this should probably go to pgsql-general or more likely pgsql-novice,
but I'm not willing to subscribe either (tee-hee). Also, I have searched the
archives and the docs (packed with the source, if there is anything else)
but didn't find the answer.

My problem is: I'd like to see DEBUG messages in the server log, but if I
set SERVER_MIN_MESSAGES to debug (also tried debug1 and debug5), the log
gets filled with these:

2003-05-08 18:39:57 [12788]  DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
2003-05-08 18:39:57 [12788]  DEBUG:  CommitTransactionCommand

Is there a way to configure postgres (including compile-time) not to log
such in the server log?

G.
--
while (!asleep()) sheep++;

---------------------------- cut here ------------------------------

Re: Overwhelming DEBUG messages

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Thursday 08 May 2003 5:51 pm, SZŰCS Gábor wrote:
> My problem is: I'd like to see DEBUG messages in the server log, but if I
> set SERVER_MIN_MESSAGES to debug (also tried debug1 and debug5), the log
> gets filled with these:
>
> 2003-05-08 18:39:57 [12788]  DEBUG:  StartTransactionCommand
> 2003-05-08 18:39:57 [12788]  DEBUG:  CommitTransactionCommand
>
> Is there a way to configure postgres (including compile-time) not to log
> such in the server log?

IANAD (I am not a developer) but you've probably got two options:

1. Go through the source and comment out "elog()" calls you don't want.
2. Write a short script to grep out the lines you don't want to see.

The second could be done with something along the lines of: grep -v -f file-with-patterns-in-it

--  Richard Huxton

Re: Overwhelming DEBUG messages

Date:
> On Thursday 08 May 2003 5:51 pm, SZ�CS G�bor wrote:
>> Is there a way to configure postgres (including compile-time) not to log
>> such in the server log?

> 1. Go through the source and comment out "elog()" calls you don't want.

FWIW, those two messages have been reduced to level DEBUG2 in CVS tip...
        regards, tom lane