index defragmentation

From
Wei Weng
Date:
Does postgreSQL have some kind of utility to fix/defrag the fragmented

Thanks

Wei

Re: index defragmentation

From
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Date:
On Wednesday 07 May 2003 12:47, Wei Weng wrote:
> Does postgreSQL have some kind of utility to fix/defrag the fragmented

REINDEX.  There is a contributed utility in contrib that allows you to do it
for an entire database.

Re: index defragmentation

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Wednesday 07 May 2003 5:47 pm, Wei Weng wrote:
> Does postgreSQL have some kind of utility to fix/defrag the fragmented

Are you familiar with "REINDEX"? I'm not sure I'd describe what it does as
"defragmentation" but it will recreate an index. See the SQL command
reference in the manuals for details (or the admin manual I think).
--  Richard Huxton

Re: index defragmentation

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Wei,

> Does postgreSQL have some kind of utility to fix/defrag the fragmented

Yes.  See REINDEX under "SQL Commands" in the postgresql docs.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco