Why doesn't EXPLAIN ANALYZE show UPDATE step?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I was just noticing that EXPLAIN ANALYZE in 7.3.2 *still* doesn't show a
discrete UPDATE step for UPDATE queries.   Is this going to be changed in
7.4?

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Why doesn't EXPLAIN ANALYZE show UPDATE step?

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I was just noticing that EXPLAIN ANALYZE in 7.3.2 *still* doesn't show a
> discrete UPDATE step for UPDATE queries.   Is this going to be changed in
> 7.4?

No.  There is no UPDATE step in the plan tree.

You can determine the time spent doing updates by subtracting the
topmost plan node's total time from the total runtime, as suggested
in the next-to-last paragraph of
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/performance-tips.html
        regards, tom lane