sort up then down

From
"Randolph Jones"
Date:
I have database fields 1234567891.001;
I want to sort on first 10 digits descending; (last date first)
then ascending on the last 3 digit (page numbers)
the statement below gives the right answer,
but is this how to do it?

SELECT  substr(imgname,1,10) AS name, substring(imgname,12,3) AS pg FROM
fax GROUP BY imgname, pg ORDER BY name DESC, pg ASC;

TIA
rfjones

Re: sort up then down

Date:
"Randolph Jones" <jonesrf1@qwest.net> writes:
> I have database fields 1234567891.001;
> I want to sort on first 10 digits descending; (last date first)
> then ascending on the last 3 digit (page numbers)
> the statement below gives the right answer,
> but is this how to do it?

> SELECT  substr(imgname,1,10) AS name, substring(imgname,12,3) AS pg FROM
> fax GROUP BY imgname, pg ORDER BY name DESC, pg ASC;

The ORDER BY seems fine.  I think the GROUP BY is redundant: if you're
grouping by imgname, there's no effect to grouping by pg as well, no?
        regards, tom lane